This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to vent about my current job

I currently work in the fuel center for the *major grocery store* chain I am employed by.

The hours of the fuel center are 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. 7 days a week.

I was told yesterday that no overtime is allowed.

For the past couple of weeks there were only 3 people working at the fuel center.

I either opened the fuel center or I closed the fuel center.

There are several duties for each shift that need to be done before clocking out.

So, according to the department head over the fuel center, when you are the closer, you need to start your closing duties at 9:30 p.m. and close the fuel center window at that time.

The closing duties are...
    1. Do the last money drop in the fuel center safe
    2. Count the bank
    3. Complete the audit report
    4. lock up the storage containers outside, the ice machine outside and the 2 coolers that store energy drinks outside
    5. complete the lotto report
    6. spray the fuel pumps
    7. cover the fuel pumps
    8. turn off the underground fuel tanks before clocking out at 10 p.m.

The department head feels that beginning at 9:30 p.m. customers should only pay at the pump. The problem with that is if and when the customers debit card or credit card is rejected at the pump, the customer cannot pay at the window since it is closed. The same goes for customers who pay with cash.

The fuel center also sells tobacco products, soft drinks, bottled water, and candy, but customers cannot buy any of this after 9:30 p.m. since the window will be closed.

Apparently my employer does not want the closer clocking out after 10 p.m.

Make sure you get that in writing for the inevitable complaints.

Comment

Quoth Argus View Post
      Make sure you get that in writing for the inevitable complaints.
      The department head wrote on the hard copy fuel center work schedule for this coming week no overtime.

Comment

You can't do all the closing duties with zero time. Either the fuel centre has to close before your hours finish, or you have to be scheduled to work beyond that time. I know, it's a crazy idea; I've worked in two gas stations and neither considered the idea of last minute customers, or even last-hour ones... Working at the railway station, I was amazed to learn that my scheduled hours actually included time between shutting the window to service and going home specifically so I could cash up uninterrupted!
        This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
        I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quoth RealUnimportant View Post
          You can't do all the closing duties with zero time. Either the fuel centre has to close before your hours finish, or you have to be scheduled to work beyond that time. I know, it's a crazy idea; I've worked in two gas stations and neither considered the idea of last minute customers, or even last-hour ones... Working at the railway station, I was amazed to learn that my scheduled hours actually included time between shutting the window to service and going home specifically so I could cash up uninterrupted!
          Turns out I am not allowed to close the window before I clock out at 10 o.m. The only thing I can do is to not accept cash payments after 9:30 p.m. when I close

Comment

How is this ever supposed to work?
            Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Remember: This is 'Manager Fantasy Land', where Real World problems don't intrude, and EVERYTHING goes as planned in his pea-sized brain. Of COURSE you can get it all done on this schedule, without any OT, if you just organize better and follow his masterpiece of a schedule.

Okay, I'm tapped for wild fantasy indulgence for the night, and I'm out of sarcasm, so I'm off to sleep for now.

Comment

Now the department head is breathing down my neck regarding too much overtime.

Yesterday I worked 2 p.m. to 10 p.m., and when I got to work the opener had me go to guest care so I could break a $100.00 bill she received for payment so she could do her last money drop. There were smaller bills in the till, but not enough for the last money drop as well as enough for me to make change for my customers.

So I went to guest care and waited in line. The department head saw me waiting in line and asked me what I was doing. I explained to her exactly what I was doing.

She told me I could go to one of the self checkout clerks for that, but when I did, the self checkout clerk did not have enough money to break that bill.

So back to guest care I went.

The overtime is work related.

Exactly what does the department head expect us to do?

Comment

At far too many places, this sort of thing implies "You need to clock out at 10PM, but you can't leave until all of your work is done." I.e., they "might" want you to work off the clock, which is illegal (at least in the US, and likely many other countries), even if you're willing to do so.
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                  Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                  "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Sometimes one of our managers tried to do that--not any of the good guys, this started with the jerks. On one paw they say NO OVERTIME EVER, on the other paw D3 tried to drop complicated projects on me when he knows it can't be done in the time allotted (and I'm allegedly the one with the 'focus' problem...)

Can you get a manager to put in writing all that "shall" be done and the time frame it needs to be done in? Not that you'd be able to get anything through their skull, but at least there's a hard copy of what they want done if you have to prove that you're trying to do it. Maybe jot down notes what was done when, any barriers, etc.
                    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
                      Sometimes one of our managers tried to do that--not any of the good guys, this started with the jerks. On one paw they say NO OVERTIME EVER, on the other paw D3 tried to drop complicated projects on me when he knows it can't be done in the time allotted (and I'm allegedly the one with the 'focus' problem...)

Can you get a manager to put in writing all that "shall" be done and the time frame it needs to be done in? Not that you'd be able to get anything through their skull, but at least there's a hard copy of what they want done if you have to prove that you're trying to do it. Maybe jot down notes what was done when, any barriers, etc.
                      I will follow the notes option so that my employer can come up with a system for the closer to follow.

Comment

This has never worked in the history of any company in the service industry. They did this to us at the Bullseye working in food. We did maybe have 15 minutes after closing, but the shut-down took hours and yet we were supposed to have food available until the end. We didn't and we got so many complaints. If we didn't stay late to thoroughly clean then we got in trouble for a dirty dining area. We could not win and I don't know how in the world I put up with that for so long.
                        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                          This has never worked in the history of any company in the service industry. They did this to us at the Bullseye working in food. We did maybe have 15 minutes after closing, but the shut-down took hours and yet we were supposed to have food available until the end. We didn't and we got so many complaints. If we didn't stay late to thoroughly clean then we got in trouble for a dirty dining area. We could not win and I don't know how in the world I put up with that for so long.
                          Standards like this are why I'm glad they have had me on cleaning duty (carts/store hotspots) only for like 3 months now
                          Last edited by Tama; 07-09-2020, 06:53 PM.
                          My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Staff turnover in our housekeeping/facilities departments are bad even before Covid, I don't want to know what it's like now/will be. The expectations can be borderline unrealistic depending on many factors that everyone expect the managers realize.

Nobody on my team likes closing because of everything that must be done (really the only thing the closer needs to do is make sure the drink coolers are drained) and the unrealistic time frame. What's the point of the closer facing everything, then the opener facing everything again if we don't have an overnight team therefore no reason facing would be messed up?
                            "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                            "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

This is the type of situation that invariably draws from management (up there on their own little personal Cloud Nines) the admonition to "Work smarter, not harder" -- which, of course, means "It's your problem, even though we've created it."

One good thing about my place ... regarding the cashiers, anyway ... when you're done, you GO. We're supposed to scrub down our station and do some basic cleanup chores before leaving, but if you are scheduled to be done at 8:30, and you get a customer with a YUUUUGE order at 8:20 and just finish them off at 8:30 ... you get told to clock out and LEAVE; somebody else will clean your station.

Having said that, I know one of the front-end supervisor got stuck working half an hour later than she should have because of some idiot customer ... and she won't get overtime for it. (Don't know whether she's on salary, and that's why, or whether management is just being a bunch of dickheads.)
                              Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                              ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Working...
                              X