This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next several days should prove enlightening

I had my first five-hour shift in a LONG time today. By the second half of it, I was becoming physically ill (had to run for the loo twice). I would never have thought a five-hour shift should be worse than a four-hour shift, but it is.

With the four-hour shift, you work two hours, then get a break; work two hours, then leave. With a five-hour shift, you still only get one break, but now you have to work 2.5 hours before you get it, and then 2.5 hours before you can leave. It's the company's way, of course, of getting more out of its workers while giving less.

I should add that I haven't had this reaction with every five-hour shift.

I have another five-hour shift tomorrow, and next week I have no less than four back-to-back five-hour shifts. It will be interesting to see how things work out. I'm reminding myself that I can always call in sick if I feel it really starting to get to me ...

Several coworkers have said they've already told the woman who does the scheduling to stop putting them on five-hour shifts, precisely because it's so draining. I may be the next one.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Might be a good idea for as many people to tell her this as possible. There's an outside chance that she (or whoever decided to have her set these shifts up) might actually listen instead of blowing the complaints off as an anomaly.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
    X