Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The job that is SOOO not good for me ...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The job that is SOOO not good for me ...

I have been hired on as a seasonal worker at the high-quality chocolate shop in the biggest local mall.

Did I mention I am diabetic ... ? (Not on insulin, though, just meds.)

I strongly suspect, though, that after being in that atmosphere for several hours a day (and as my hours, hopefully, increase as Christmas nears), I will be less inclined to want to inhale everything in sight. I once worked at a bakery whose owner said "Help yourselves!" Smart man. After a week or two I never wanted to SEE another piece of pastry again, never mind eat one.

The job lasts only until Dec. 24, IIRC. I was surprised that it didn't run until just past New Year. Our seasonal help at the Now Defunct Tea Shoppe stayed on for a week or so after Christmas (ironically, my new position is right next door to where the NDTS used to be ... )

However, the post-Christmas rush was usually about 50% people using their gift cards ... and 50% (at least) returns and exchanges. The chocolate shop offers neither refunds nor exchanges. Got something you don't like? Sorry, pass it along, or put it out at your New Year's Eve party, or take it to work. We don't take it back (not even the few non-food items we offer, such as a stuffed hedgehog -- long story -- or the travel mugs or socks).

And ... there is the likelihood of two permanent (part-time) positions opening up after Christmas. So I plan to bust my buns during the Christmas season in the hopes I will be under serious consideration for one of those positions afterwards.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Quoth Pixelated View Post
    I once worked at a bakery whose owner said "Help yourselves!" Smart man. After a week or two I never wanted to SEE another piece of pastry again, never mind eat one.
    This does not work on me. I never get tired of pastry.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Heh, the stuffed hedgehog tells me that I know the retailer you work for...I have a weakness for their chocolate hedgehogs, but we don't have any retailers here! Instead we have Laura Secord, but their chocolate just isn't as good.

My fingers are crossed that you get one of the permanent positions!

Comment

Congrats! And as someone who currently works in a bakery, yeah I got tired of it. It's a hippie bakery, though, not like croissants or anything. Still, I remember being so excited about the chocolate frosting especially... Now I'm "meh" about most things. I'm a huge downer, I do apologize, but it's truth.
        Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Working...
        X