No announcement yet.

The Coronavirus Panic Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another friend has Covid and his heart procedure has to be delayed. So that's 5 people I know personally who've tested positive. It's gotten real.

I have some cotton masks and I've gotten a small pimple or two, but nothing very serious. Overall the quarantining has been good for my skin because I stopped wearing foundation altogether--no point in that. I guess makeup causes me more problems than it solves. Also, I use retinol every night so I suppose that helps with any acne that might come up.
    Last edited by Food Lady; 10-03-2020, 10:16 AM.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

• My employer wants me to completely take over handling escrows (with no pay increase, of course ), which in the before times would mean I head down to the main branch for extra training. But when Ted told me this, I asked him how the cases were in Cheeselandia, knowing full well that they're having a surge. He waffled. I said I didn't want to travel. Now they're scrambling to get supplies and training to me before December, when the bulk of the escrows have to be paid.

I refuse to travel. Other idiots at the bank are putting themselves at risk, but I'm not going to.
      "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
      -Mira Furlan

Comment

• Good on you for standing up for yourself, Ghel. You are a good employee who goes out of her/his way to get the job done. Even so, expecting you to risk your health or maybe even your life to travel just so they can dump even more work on you is unreasonable.

I am currently working for the census and was offered the amazing opportunity to drive across the state (mileage and hours paid two weeks later on regular check) to work 12 hour days while paying for meals ($50 per day) and motel ($100 per day) up front and being reimbursed sometime in November.

I was very nice when I refused, but rather rude in my mind.

Comment

• I wonder why surgeons and nurses don't have the acne issue with masks? I never heard of this before until the other day.
          https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
          Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

• Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
            I wonder why surgeons and nurses don't have the acne issue with masks?
            Maybe because they're used to wearing them? Think about it...before eight months ago, how often did the average American wear a medical mask for hours a day?

Comment

• Good question. Could it be that specific fabrics used in masks, or even ones from certain manufacturers, could be the culprit?
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

• Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
                I wonder why surgeons and nurses don't have the acne issue with masks? I never heard of this before until the other day.
                Maybe the fact that they don't wear the same mask all day long.
                Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                Save the Ales!
                Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

• That's what I was thinking; also fabric masks can hold sweat/oils against the skin.

My mom's been getting census messages begging for workers in far-flung areas (NY, FL, GA, Navajo Nation)...while getting no work here in town (but other enumerators she's spoken with say there's more than enough work).

Looks like I will be working the polls here on Election Day. I'm excited (town will pay me and work may do so as well) and wary at the same time.
                  "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                  "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

• I asked my doctor why she wasn't having maskne issues and she laughed at me. Back in the before times, she didn't wear a mask that often. Her nurses didn't wear masks.

Her advice to me about what to do about my maskne came from personal experience.

NAVAJO NATION IN TUBA CITY?!?!

I am also not working while others are getting fed very well. The above is ticking me off because they gave that to me, but then took it away for whatever reasons, AFTER praising me for my work at the Yavapai Apache reservations.

Anyone else getting tired of dodging brand new RV's? While I understand why folks are using them, I also think they should drive them around on residential roads to learn what they are doing before getting on freeways and trying to learn how to do it at 30 mph instead of driving 80 mph like the rest of the traffic.

Comment

• I thought RVs were restricted to 50-55ish+right lane only in most areas o_O I'd hate to be anywhere near one at true highway speeds, let alone around one with an inexperienced driver at all.
                      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

• Quoth Slave to the Phone View Post
                        NAVAJO NATION IN TUBA CITY?!?!
                        They didn't specify, just "Navajo Nation". Could be NM, AZ, or anywhere in that general area. Mom was wondering if they really would pay for ALL transportation, food etc...she was considering it until NM got taken off of MA's nice list; also, GPS and cell reception is unreliable at best if I recall our expeditions in that neck of the woods. If she did go I would have to come with.

Comment

• Quoth Ghel View Post
                          I asked him how the cases were in Cheeselandia, knowing full well that they're having a surge.
                          Yep. We have a new order in place wherein buildings can only have 25% of the usual capacity. Small gatherings can only be 10 people. I guess that means if you have family over or whatever. Mask order is in place until the end of November. I haven't looked at the numbers lately but last I checked, my county had 300+ cases.
                          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

• 'Round these parts -- The city and county have recently renewed their mask orders through the end of the month, tho restaurants are allowed to have up to 50% cap (I think). We're something of a hotspot, even for a Southern state. The state itself has lifted its orders.

Comment

• A city across the river has amended their mask rules to be "any public spaces, all the time" (a few months ago, you could go maskless outside if there was nobody else in the vicinity). This includes joggers and cyclists so I predict lots of tantrums about it.

Boston is in the red zone now...good thing I no longer have to commute.

Comment

• Some bozo came through my line today with his mask literally covering only his chin.

I waited for him to get out of sight and then told the next customer to "Please wait right there" while I scooted around the counter and wiped down the customer's side of the plexiglass sneeze guard.

Later I told a supervisor about it and she said ... "Oh yeah, I know him."

He does this all the time. It's apparently some kind of he-man posturing. She once told him to straighten his mask and he told her to mind her own fucking business.

Shame we work for a giant corporation that would cave in a heartbeat, instead of letting us refuse to serve people like this.

I said next time I'll rush out and start cleaning the sneeze guard while he's still within eyesight.
                                Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                                ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Working...
                                X