Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "I would like the card PASSED to me properly!" and other sandwich shop nonsense

I've seen customers be picky about their food, but this is a new level of being petty.

There is a stainless steel counter across which customers hand me cash or plastic to pay. When someone hands me a card, I swipe it through the reader, then usually slide it back across the counter to them. I am not rude or aggressive or otherwise inappropriate when I do this. I do not fling cards at people nor do I come off as though I am doing it to be lazy.

So this guy comes in and I do my usual swipe and slide...

SC: Are you done with my card?
    Me: Yes, that's why I gave it back to you.
    SC: You didn't give it back you slid it toward me. (tomato, to-mah-to)
    Me: Yes I slid it because I was done with it.
    SC: You shouldn't slide it it like, that's not good customer service.
    Me: Sorry, I wasn't trying to be rude about it.
    SC: Well you were. I prefer having my card placed back in my hand.
    Me: Ok
    (at this point there is a pause. His card is still sitting on the counter)
    SC: I said I prefer to have the card PLACED IN MY HAND. <makes a motion towards card>
    Me: (I suddenly realized what he wanted...and begrudgingly handed him the card)
    SC: There, now was that so hard? Just start doing that for everybody and maybe you'll be treated a little better.

Do you believe in Magic...

Man comes in and wants to order a party platter. Fine, not a problem. Says it went to a different location of ours and they wouldn't do it. Ok, whatever. I ask him when he needs it for.

SC: "Right now"

There are THREE problems with that:

1. Typically we require a 24 hour notice for a party platter. There are sometimes exceptions like if you come in at 9 am for one you want at 7 that night (at our discretion of course)
    2. I am the only one working at the moment.
    3. I cannot pull a party platter out of my ass!

Even if I did decide to make it would take me awhile and potentially cause long waits for other customers who came in while I was doing it. Also, I only had 30 minutes left in my shift.

So I politely tell the customer that no, I can't give him a party platter. He gets mildly agitated for a few minutes than decides to order a few sandwiches instead of the platter.

A hundred reasons to be upset

I am amazed, just amazed at the number of people who try to pay me with $100 bills and are shocked when I can't take them. It's not that we aren't allowed to take them, it's just that we usually don't have a ton of cash on hand and I don't want to clean out my till breaking a benjamin.

Even funnier still are people who get pissy at me because they can't use their $100 bill and aren't exactly sure how to pay. It's like they expect me to magically fix their problem for them. I suggest an ATM or Bank (duh!) and they get sulky because they have to leave and come back.

About a week ago I guy got upset that I couldn't take his $100 and told me "But you took my friends $100 bill just a moment ago!" Yes dumbass and that's why I can't take yours. I already cleaned a good chunk of my still taking his.

Also to the people who try pay me with $100s when I can clearly see you have smaller bills in your fold:

I loathe you...deeply

The Silent letters

I can't help but chuckle at some of the common mispronunciations I hear on a daily basis, such as:

- Macadmian nut cookies (Macadmia)
    - Italian Herbs and Cheeses (Herbs and Cheese)
    - Various takes on the word "Chipotle"
    - Provoloney (Provolone)
    Last edited by protege; 03-23-2011, 03:57 PM. Reason: Fixed the bold tag :)
    "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

The other day my mother was checking out at Wally World and her total came to $101 plus change. My mother handed the woman a hundred dollar bill and two ones. The woman hands the hundred back and says " I'm sorry I can't break this" My mom and I just kind of gave her the WTF face and she took a minute to figure it out.

Comment

People at the gas station did that to me all the time, especially on Fridays! And especially people who worked in those "under the table" paying jobs, wallets plum full of 100s, 50s, and 20s. They'd get a pack of smokes and a soda (at the time, less than $5) and want to pay with a $100. No. You have 20s. Use them. Next time you go to the bank, ask for smaller bills. Or here's a novel idea, get a fucking bank account and a debit card. This may be a safe, podunk place in the world, but I still NEVER feel safe walking around with lots of cash on me.
      You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

I kinda get where the guy with the credit card was coming from, considering some of the complaints I've read here about customers putting payment on the counter instead of just handing it to the cashier. And sliding the card could damage the magnetic strip of the card if there is dirt or other debris on the counter top.

But the customer did NOT have to be an absolute asshat about it. There was no call for him to be snide about it. A "in the future, I would prefer you to hand me the card" would have been sufficient, and the "maybe you'll be treated better comment" was completely uncalled for.
        They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth MOPPETT View Post
          The other day my mother was checking out at Wally World and her total came to $101 plus change. My mother handed the woman a hundred dollar bill and two ones. The woman hands the hundred back and says " I'm sorry I can't break this" My mom and I just kind of gave her the WTF face and she took a minute to figure it out.
          I've had those days, where it takes a bit for things to click... and it becomes an "oooh duh" sort of moment.

Anyway, re: sliding the card back. I always give the card,change, whatever back the way it was handed to me. If the customer slid it across the counter, then I slide it across the counter too. It's completely passive aggressive of me. "Ha! You ignored my hand that was waiting for your tender? Then I shall ignore your hand that is waiting for your change and your receipt!"

it's the only little bit of power I have.

regarding pronunciations: Cricut is ...pronounced Cricket. Vellum is not pronounced valium. Mod Podge is not pronounced Hodge Podge.
          But, if you say any of those things to me, I'll show you where they are and wont mock you until you're out of ear shot. And regarding pronouncing things the way they are said by people who've been screwing up the word for years, vs the way they are pronounced in their country of origin, again...eh. So long as I can figure it out, I don't care. Hopefully, people understand.

I just want everyone to only mock me out of ear shot too. heh
          you are = you're. not "your".

Comment

Quoth Panacea View Post
            I kinda get where the guy with the credit card was coming from, considering some of the complaints I've read here about customers putting payment on the counter instead of just handing it to the cashier. And sliding the card could damage the magnetic strip of the card if there is dirt or other debris on the counter top.

But the customer did NOT have to be an absolute asshat about it. There was no call for him to be snide about it. A "in the future, I would prefer you to hand me the card" would have been sufficient, and the "maybe you'll be treated better comment" was completely uncalled for.
            I agree on this one too. I've never had a card slid back to me, nor have a slid my card to a cashier. What if it falls in a crack and can't be retrieved? If the majority of regular customers are ok with sliding cards that's one thing, but new customers may want regular (non-casual) treatment.

Comment

OP: In the customers defense, I find it rude when I hand a CSR my card/cash etc (or ID for CC verification), as it strikes me as common courtesy. However, how he responded to it was out of line and childish.
              Re: the customer with $100 bills: I try not to pay with them, but oftentimes I get paid with them, and if I don't have enough money in the bank to cover the purchase I'm forced to use one. But I don't buy small shit with them, and I usually ask first.

Comment

One day I was working the customer service counter, by myself, I had a line a billion people long, and I was doing this woman's Western Union. I'm running about as fast as I can, so when she pays for it I put the change infront of her on the counter, cause she wasn't really paying much attention to me, and run of to send the damn thing. Bitch made me pick up her change and hand it to her. I didn't know I could make "Thank you, have a nice day!" mean "Fuck off and die" before.
                The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

SC: Well you were. I prefer having my card placed back in my hand.
                  *hands crazedclerk a slingshot*

don't get me started on the $100's.
                  look! it's ghengis khan!
                  Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Quoth chainedbarista View Post
                    *hands crazedclerk a slingshot*
                    But a slingshit would be so much more fun... Or a snotgun...

Spider Robinson - Disgusting weapons
                    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I have 1000's not very often, and the only time I will use them is at the grocery store, BUT I will ask first if its ok, if not, I pay by debit, and then...wait for it....GO to the bank myself and deposit the 100's in my account!!! (I dog and house sit and they always pay me in 50's and 100's)

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                        But a slingshit would be so much more fun... Or a snotgun...

I prefer Spider Jerusalem's take on weapons.

I never had the Benjamin problem. My old retail joints were electronics ($100s are normal), and a small ice cream place in a college town where EVERYTHING was payed for with $20s. It did mean that I would periodically have to go buy smaller bills with a massive wad of $20s.

Comment

BTW, I'm not fully against having a card slid to me if I were a regular customer. It would make me feel like I was "in" enough that the business or staff would know me (almost as if I pop in and hear, "hey Eric! Your usual today?"). Some customers just feel entitled though. It's one thing to let a customer know that your place and the attitude is casual, but it's wrong for the customer to take it way out of line .

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                            Spider Robinson? Or Spider Jerusalem?

Both awesome in their own ways, but very, very different.

^-.-^
                            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I find it very rude when someone slides my card back to me. Then again, I put my card or cash in their hand, because I'm not an asshole. If he handed you the card, he deserved the same in return.

As far as $100 bills go, you need to have signage that clearly states you will not accept bills larger than whatever denomination you choose. Yes, I know customers won't read it, but no one can argue with you when you point out said sign to them.
                              Dammit !! ~ Jack Bauer

Comment

Working...
                              X