Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

See, way back when I was on WIC it didn't really do much for me. It was only for milk(too much of it), formula (which I didn't need at all), IIRC some type of cereal (a crap ton), and no actual fruits or veggies. They said I couldn't approved for that till my daughter was much older.

So I stopped because it was more trouble for me that it was worth. I mean, I didn't even know enough people to give the excess to.

Comment

Quoth BroSCFischer View Post
      I was made a Front End Monitor because the store was starting something new with WIC checks. They HAD to be checked and approved by the FEM. This lasted all of about 6-8 weeks, before the customers complained to WIC, and WIC told the store they couldn't do that anymore as it amounted to discrimination.
      WTF? From what I've seen on CS (never been a cashier), if the store does ANYTHING wrong on a WIC voucher, it doesn't get reimbursed AT ALL. It's only logical to have a designated person check it out to make sure it's done properly - how is that discrimination?

Of course, it could be the government department wanting to save some money by trying to keep stores from double-checking, resulting in more "error" WIC transactions that the government wouldn't have to reimburse.
      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth XRogue View Post
        other stores in my area put a sign on express saying no WIC in big capitals with exclamation points, AND the cashier is allowed to enforce that. Politely, and allowed to call in management if the customer gets shouty. It works too, those stores have politer customers. And enforcing these things on customers will absolutely not drive them away. At least not in more than ones and twos. Those people who would leave are the ones who cost us good customers by being inconsiderate.
        Not according to my manager I think we get such a large concentration of crazy because the other stores DO enforce rules (no checks on express, etc) and the nuts find out my store will put up with anything and so come here.

I know I've taken it upon myself to make up signs for express (no checks, 12 items or less, WIC transactions are up to the cashier) and selfscan (no WIC or checks) that are approved by one manager and then nixed by another because it's "bad customer service".
        "I am quite confident that I do exist."
        "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

I think my biggest gripe about people using WIC was the ones who would groan and snap about my needing to see their WIC folder. In my state, if you do not do this as a cashier...well, you aren't supposed to do the transaction, period, without it.
          My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
            WTF? From what I've seen on CS (never been a cashier), if the store does ANYTHING wrong on a WIC voucher, it doesn't get reimbursed AT ALL. It's only logical to have a designated person check it out to make sure it's done properly - how is that discrimination?

Of course, it could be the government department wanting to save some money by trying to keep stores from double-checking, resulting in more "error" WIC transactions that the government wouldn't have to reimburse.
            It's a government program; what else can you expect? It has to be as confusing and contradictory as possible. It's in the Constitution or something.

People on the program shouldn't be made to feel bad because they're tying up the lines at the registers. Likewise stores shouldn't be pressured to rush WIC customers through so they don't feel singled out, and end up making mistakes that lead to loss of reimbursement.

There are probably many ways to make the program easier and more user-friendly for stores and the people using it, but that makes sense, so it isn't allowed.
            Last edited by Irving Patrick Freleigh; 07-28-2013, 09:15 PM.
            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

When i was on wic, after lil ray was born, when i had the vouchers id seperate the wic stuff, and then if i had excess...like the pound of beans...bleh! I would donate it to my moms church food pantry. Was a win win win that way

Comment

Honestly, I'd think the gub'mint would save by using an electronic debit style card, I really do. And if they need to have separate cards for each service, ok, I can see where it might turn into a pig's breakfast doing it all on one.

It's just the printed vouchers that bug me. That and the numpties.

Comment

I am really quite tired of having to moderate threads dealing with WIC.

Almost every time WIC is discussed, one of our members who are on assistance, or have been on assistance, gets upset and feelings are hurt, and it ends badly.

We have already had to remove a post that was arguing back to another member.
                  Please stick to discussion of the sucky customers and cease with the discussion of the WIC program itself.
                  Last edited by Ree; 07-29-2013, 06:57 AM.
                  Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

We were just informed the other day we will start taking WIC. I really, really hope we don't run into this. Our customers are already complaining about having to be in line behind someone with groceries. What will they do when the person has WIC? And as it is, our customers don't read signs/coupons. Why would they read vouchers? I am not looking forward to this.
                    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Ree View Post
                      I am really quite tired of having to moderate threads dealing with WIC.

Almost every time WIC is discussed, one of our members who are on assistance, or have been on assistance, gets upset and feelings are hurt, and it ends badly.

We have already had to remove a post that was arguing back to another member.

Please stick to discussion of the sucky customers and cease with the discussion of the WIC program itself.
                      Totally off topic but this message combines perfectly with your avatar
                      Last edited by Ree; 07-29-2013, 06:57 AM.
                      How ever do they manage to breathe for themselves without having to call tech support? - Argabarga

Comment

^ So true. And it's what I will be doing when I have to deal with this.
                        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth mathnerd View Post
                          I've been behind really nice people using WIC vouchers before and I always feel a tiny bit bad for them. At least with food stamps you can just swipe a card like a debit or credit card, but WIC is just a long, tedious process that just screams "I'm not financially independent", which for some people, isn't something they want advertised.
                          I know what you mean. On a couple occasions I've been behind people in line using WIC, and noticed their embarrassment. I tried very hard to look like I didn't even notice; l was (apparently) completely consumed with reading the cover stories on those stupid, stupid newspapers at the checkout.
                          Who hears all your prayers? Why, the NSA, of course!

Comment

I've had other customers get mad about a WIC transaction, usually when things are held up because ASM points something out and the customer goes back into the store to get something (transaction can't be suspended/saved, so everyone's glaring at me).

The formula is kept up front in a locked case, so every so often a formula customer will decide to cut everyone else in line (comes through a lane the other way) because "I'm up here anyway".
                            "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                            "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

A few months ago I was in line behind someone trying to use a WIC voucher. It seemed to me that the cashier was being kind of short and snotty with the woman who after a few minutes apologized to the cashier for not having the right items, asked for the incorrect items to be put back and said she would pay for her other items.

I thought maybe I was misinterpreting the cashiers attitude until she started ringing me up while muttering under her breath, "I'm a single mother with two kids working at THIS place and I don't qualify for assistance God damned lazy etc., etc., etc."

Quoth raudf View Post
                              American cheese. WIC doesn't count it as a cheese, folks. No amount of pleading, screaming, crying or showing how much like your child you can behave is going to change that. To WIC, it's flavored plastic - fit only for rats.. (My rats won't eat it, and they love chewing on plastic!)
                              The problem with American cheese is ANY processed cheese gets that label. It can be 100% cheese or 100% filler and it's still labeled as "American Cheese" with no distinction between the two very different products.

My mother used to buy the cheapest American cheese she could find and refused to believe an expensive American cheese was any different from the cheapest...until one summer I threw her American cheese on the lit BBQ grill. Her screams of "Are you CRAZY!" and "You're cleaning that up!" turned to silence as the "cheese" slice turned brown and started curling up around the edges. When it caught on fire I used some tongs to take it off the grill. After that she would spring for the Land-O-Lakes American from the deli and that stuff is delicious!
                              You'll find a slight squeeze on the hooter an excellent safety precaution, Miss Scrumptious.

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                                We were just informed the other day we will start taking WIC. I really, really hope we don't run into this. Our customers are already complaining about having to be in line behind someone with groceries. What will they do when the person has WIC? And as it is, our customers don't read signs/coupons. Why would they read vouchers? I am not looking forward to this.
                                My county health unit had a lesson on how to use WIC, which explained the best way to handle issues, check vouchers, make sure you have the correct items, and how to set it up to make it easier on the cashier. Do you think many of us paid attention? Of course not!

You'll run into it. It's inevitable, just as with anything else that involves other human beings. The difference is that you'll be required to refuse the transaction if the customer fails to follow it. If your overlord overrides it, it could cost the store a bit of money and enough repeats the ability to do WIC.

Best way to do it is to separate everything out into the voucher piles, placing the voucher on top of each pile, with the folder on the first pile. Check each voucher for start/end dates and then what is on the voucher. Compare to pile. If everything is there, then input the voucher info and start the transaction. If not, let the customer know what's missing and if need let the customer go get replacement/item. This way, if absolutely necessary, you can put the transaction aside to tend to other customers.

Unfortunately, it will slow you down. SCs will get irritated at the wait, but then they get irritated if they are made to wait for anything, so don't let that fluster you any more than it normally does. WIC is just another transaction type, that's all.
                                If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Working...
                                X