This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is really good

Some of you may have read my post about the job I've been doing (off and on) since last November. I worked from November through the middle of January, then was asked to do some work in March, then was brought back in April for a new project.

I have an absolute dream of a manager - one who knows how to communicate, one who gives credit when and where credit is due, one who is calm and considerate. The atmosphere is light and easy, in distinct contrast to the Job From Hell I had a few years ago, where the "manager" was trying to force all the female employees to quit by being as rotten as possible to them (and this was a guy to whom rottenness was second nature).

I negotiated my salary at this job, and now, my manager has suggested asking for more. I asked, how much? After a few minutes of discussion, we arrived at an amount. I'll be pitching the idea next week.

I'm also getting more responsibility - not a lot, not managerial responsibility, but a bit more. And, I hope, they'll agree to the salary increase due in part to the fact that I'll be taking on this extra work.

After so many horrible work environments, this is a true breath of fresh air. A wonderful manager, good and dependable coworkers, great building. I was raised to downplay any achievements I had and to talk disparagingly about work, no matter how good it was - and I've had enough of that. This isn't My Dream Career, but I believe that this job is putting me on a good path. It's getting me accustomed to working in a healthy environment, which is what I need.

Fantastic news all round then, congratulations
    This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
    I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Awesomesauce. Sounds like you have good people there to support you; that can make a world of difference, ideal career or no. Hang on to this one until you're absolutely sure you wanna move on (if ever).
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

It's not the sort of job that you really want to do indefinitely. Right now, I'm very grateful to have it, I'm grateful for the money it brings in, I'm grateful for the managers - I'm grateful for a lot of things. And I'm grateful that it's not the sort of job that you want to do for years to come (even if that were possible), because it gives me the perfect place from which to launch my career.

Comment

Way to go!
          "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

Surprise!

I had that little chat recently with my manager about the increase in salary. He asked me how much I was making. I told him. We agreed on a higher sum for me to mention to his manager.

Well. I got an email today from another person at the company, telling me how much I make per hour. I was very surprised at the amount. I emailed this person back, asking if this amount was for the current project, or the last project. The answer was, "For the current project."

I had a talk with my manager, because the amount that I am, evidently, receiving for this project is almost as much as I had planned to ask for. My manager is still willing to go to bat for me over an even higher wage. However, it seems that he took a look at my hourly wage a little while ago, and the amount he found was the same amount the other person told me I'm receiving for this project.

I hope that's not too confusing.

Now, neither of us is sure just what my hourly wage was for the last project. My manager is going to talk to his manager and ask about it. I know my manager well enough to know that he does what he says he'll do (very refreshing, too!). I'm waiting to hear back from him.

I admitted that I tend to be too trusting in wages, and that when an amount has been agreed, I believe that I will receive it. I haven't looked very hard into the total wages I was paid in the last pay period. At my manager's suggestion, I wrote down all my hours (I'll check them against what he has), and I'm going to keep making a written record of them.

So - things are going well!
            Last edited by Eireann; 06-26-2019, 07:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X