This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your hand sanitizer stinks!

Let me preface this by saying this is not the fault of any of the people working at this store.

So obviously we're in the middle of a pandemic, and all sorts of restrictions and rules in place.

This morning I stopped in at a convenience store, part of a major local chain (where, incidentally, I used to be assigned prior to my current posting). Up until now, they'd closed off the self-service soda fountains and coffee and gone to full-service, limited hours. But today, they'd done away with that and simply posted a large sign saying all guest must use hand sanitizer before touching the equipment. There was a 1 gallon pump bottle right there.

OK, fair enough. I used some of it, got my drink, paid, and left.

That's when the smell really started to sink in. Once the alcohol evaporated, my hands smelled like CAT PISS!!!!! Like something a cat peed all over and then sat for a while before it was detected. It was so bad after leaving the store I had to roll my windows down because it was making me cough and gag.

They actually still smell, despite washing my hands twice and putting scented lotion on.

I'm of half a mind to write to them and complain. I mean, I don't object to the policy at all. In fact, I rather like it, because before this I couldn't get a drink on my way home. And I know hand sanitizer is hard to come by these days, but it should not smell so bad that it makes the customers feel sick.

Any thoughts?
    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Ugh! It took 3 hours and 5 washings to make the smell go away. either that or I've become immune to it.
    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Complain to them. It's unlikely they will throw what they have out, but hopefully they will not buy more of the same kind if enough people complain.

Comment

Most sanitizers right now smell HORRIBLE, mainly because all of the "good stuff" was snapped up six months ago.

Comment

Well, they have to discourage the ilk-a-holics (not me nor thee) from drinking all the tax-free 160 proof boozahol.
          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
            Most sanitizers right now smell HORRIBLE, mainly because all of the "good stuff" was snapped up six months ago.
            Bought a bottle of hand sanitizer right after the pandemic started and it was in short supply. It smelled like garlic. I threw it away.

Then there is the hand sanitizer, made by a local distillery, unfortunately packaged to resemble a bottle of vodka.

The stuff I use at work has a little bit of a garlick-y smell when you first use it, but then it goes away.
            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Garlic I wouldn’t mind. I LOVE garlic.

I’m not gonna bother complaining. Walmart has the same stuff that smells like cat piss. Must be a supply problem.

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

We had two bottles of brand x sanitizer that left our hands feeling sticky. We tossed them.
                "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
                  Garlic I wouldn’t mind. I LOVE garlic.
                  Mmmm....garlic....</homer>

Garlic works for me, too Hell, all the garlic that goes into the food has kept New Orleans vampire-free for a couple centuries now!
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                  Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                  "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                    We had two bottles of brand x sanitizer that left our hands feeling sticky. We tossed them.
                    The sticky hand sanitizer many shops have it here. I usually bring my own to avoid getting stuck to the wheel.

Comment

I have been making and carrying my own hand sanitizer since before this whole thing started. I use essential oils for scent, but you don't really need to do that. Its much cheaper than buying the pre-made sanitizer and you have control of what goes into it.

Also, now that winter is on its way...if your car doors freeze shut, run a thread of sanitizer along the gap. The alcohol helps melt the ice.

Comment

I think the ones made by distilleries smell bad for whatever reason. I carry a spray bottle with 70% rubbing alcohol for the purpose of wiping down stuff or using as a hand sanitizer. It'll mitigate stains, too. Oh, and it'll fix a frozen fuel door on your car. I haven't tried it on a friozen lock. I've been doing this at least 10 years. It's cheap and doesn't leave residue. But it is drying. That's why lotion exists.
                        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

The sanitizer s from distillers smell (and taste) bad because they add a denaturing agent to them to discourage people from drinking them. Fun fact, they used to denature with methanol, which is poisonous. Nowadays, they mostly use things that are non toxic.

Comment

I stocked up on lemon-scented hand sanitizer ages ago and always carry a small bottle with me so I can use that instead of the store-provided stuff that smells rancid. Or on the off chance that I've had to use the store-provided stuff I can get rid of the smell with my own.

At work we had a couple bottles of the sticky sanitizer, and they mysteriously went missing one day when I took the garbage out...

Comment

Working...
                            X