This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
    Some grocery stores here have "5 cents off your total for each bag reused", but I think that charging customers for clean bags would get the message across faster.
    At our store, I think it's something like a 2 cent credit for each bag reused for another shopping order.

I use the plastic bags I get in the little garbage cans around the house.

At a bargin-basement type food store around there, if you want bags, you have to pay for them. They usually have boxes for free...unless it's busy, then no boxes for you!!!!!
    Unseen but seeing
    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
    3rd shift needs love, too
    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth CanadaGirl View Post
      I hate paper bags. They get all spotty if you have something greasy in them, they rip easily, and are just bad for the environment. (those poor trees). Plastic bags are stronger, have handles, and are reusable many many times. You can even wash them!
      Ummm...paper bags are made from trees grown at "tree farms"-in other words, they aren't using old growth trees. Trees are a renewable resource.

And plastic does not break down and go back to the earth, unlike paper. So forgive me, you remarks baffle me.

Comment

Quoth CherryB View Post
        Trees are a renewable resource.

And plastic does not break down and go back to the earth, unlike paper.
        In defense of CanadaGirl, while it may be true that the trees used in producing bags come from tree farms, and trees are a renewable resource, it does take 4 times more energy to produce the paper bags.
        Just as in the production of paper bags, toxic chemicals and gases are released into the atmosphere.

Both types of bags have pros and cons as to whether one is better than the other.
        The end result is that they are both have a negative effect on the environment in their own ways.

In a landfill, where there is an absence of water, light and oxygen, neither one will completely degrade, but loose in the environment, at least I know paper will do the least amount of damage to wildlife and break down much faster.

I still prefer paper over plastic, but again, a reusable cloth or durable cloth-like bag is even better. They can be washed as well.

It wouldn't be so bad if people would just recycle the darn things, but, again, it takes more energy to recycle paper bags than it does for plastic bags.

I never put anything in a plastic bag at the store without asking first if they want a bag.
        A lot of times, if it's something easily carried, and given a choice, the customer will opt not have a bag.
        I just tell them, for security, to keep the receipt handy when they are going out.

In my own shopping, I try to take a bag with me, but if I forget, I will just keep adding things to the first bag I get.
        Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Quoth CherryB View Post
          Ummm...paper bags are made from trees grown at "tree farms"-in other words, they aren't using old growth trees. Trees are a renewable resource.

And plastic does not break down and go back to the earth, unlike paper. So forgive me, you remarks baffle me.
          What would the people who worry about global warming think if told that there was a way to pull CO2 out of the air and make it useful for a while and then put in the ground?

Such technology exists. Its the virgin paper industry. They plant trees, Those trees pull CO2 out of the air release oxygen and make cellulose. The paper companies make usefull things out of the trees. When people are done with these things they go into landfills, which are turned into parks when they are full.

Yay virgin paper!
          Proud to be a Walmart virgin.

Comment

Quoth Zinjadu View Post
            We haven't had paper bags at our store in years.

And yet... some regular customers still ask: have you gotten any in yet? when will you be getting some?

I know our plastic bags are way too thin, so I never overfill them, and always double-bag the heavier stuff - I'm a good cashier!
            One of the cashiers at the local supermarket I use told me that their suits told the that the customer has to ask for something to be doubled. Most of the older ones ignore this policy (Yay them). The problem is with the new baggers. They listen to corporate. Unfortunately I have the then ask them to double the heavy things when I notice that they aren't, usually halfway through.

Of course if management would let the staff use their judgement or buy decently thick plastic bags there would be no problem.
            Proud to be a Walmart virgin.

Comment

The AARP is going to have a fit. All the old people around here insist on paper inside plastic.... Not sure why. My grandma does it too. They have them bag everything inside paper, then put the whole thing in a plastic bag.....

Comment

Quoth alphaboi View Post
                IhateCrappyTire, I wish we had a clapping smilie.

howzat?
                Age and wisdom don't necessarily go together. Some people just become stupid with more authority.

"Who put the goat in there? The yellow goat I ate."

Comment

Quoth Mighty Girl View Post
                  They have them bag everything inside paper, then put the whole thing in a plastic bag.....
                  Easier to carry, since a lot of paper bags, unfortunately, do not have handles...and even when they do, they're not the sturdiest things ever.

As for myself, if I'm getting perishables, I'll ask for paper in plastic. It seems that the paper bag helps insulate it better.
                  Unseen but seeing
                  oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                  There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                  3rd shift needs love, too
                  RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Working...
                  X