Random Thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
    In the past week I have attempted to answer questions about the possible existence of wormholes, what teleportation would actually involve, if humans will ever time travel and the potential uses of an invisibility shield (I could think of some uses, none of them good).
    You might like a book I just got: Time Travel: A History by James Gleick.

I also recently picked up The Complete Time Traveler: A Tourists Guide To The Fourth Dimension. One of the authors is in a class I'm taking and I got the book autographed.
    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

I don't really understand it. At least no one else does either.

In the past week I have attempted to answer questions about the possible existence of wormholes, what teleportation would actually involve, if humans will ever time travel and the potential uses of an invisibility shield (I could think of some uses, none of them good).

Explaining radiation last year was a fun time too.
      Maybe he has started watching Star Trek without you knowing
      ACNL Dream Address: 5300-6013-1370

Comment

• So in this new King Kong movie, Kong is apparently now the size of Godzilla. I guess if I am already accepting the idea of a great ape the size of Godzilla, I SUPPOSE I can also accept that he SOMEHOW finds enough food to sustain him on an ISLAND.

ARE YOU HAPPY NOW HUSBAND?!
        https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

So in this new King Kong movie, Kong is apparently now the size of Godzilla. I guess if I am already accepting the idea of a great ape the size of Godzilla, I SUPPOSE I can also accept that he SOMEHOW finds enough food to sustain him on an ISLAND.
          Depending on the size of the island, food supply is not a problem. I realize that some of these islands would have the wrong climate, but Vancouver Island, Rhode Island, (pre-settlement) Manhattan Island, Staten Island, Long Island, Hispanola, Cuba, Sicily, both islands that make up New Zealand, Tasmania, the main islands in Hawaii, are all big enough.

The real illogic is that the island has A (singular) great ape, rather than a population of great apes.

Similarly, the native biomass (Fremen are descendants of people aboard a crashed ship, fairly recent) on Arakis consists mainly of sandworms - an apex predator.
          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

• This might be TMI but, well...

It's just awesome when my cat jumps onto the bed and starts biting my hair to make me move over... when I'm in the middle of using my vibrator.

And by awesome I mean really damned annoying.

Comment

• So...does that you mean you have a quivering pussy at each end of the bed?

The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

So in this new King Kong movie, Kong is apparently now the size of Godzilla. I guess if I am already accepting the idea of a great ape the size of Godzilla, I SUPPOSE I can also accept that he SOMEHOW finds enough food to sustain him on an ISLAND.
                An island is surrounded by water, in this case the ocean, which has plenty of food. All he has to do is catch it, or have the natives catch it for him.

Not that logic has any more to do with these movies than it does with SCs.
                "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

• The natives feeding him seems like it would be more sensible.
                  My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

• From the original film it seems the natives do bring him offerings, but still, he's the size of Godzilla (and Godzilla has also gotten bigger and bigger over the years). I guess can see him eating lots of meat even though regular gorillas are almost completely herbivorous (they have to eat for the majority of every day in order to sustain themselves).

I just hate it when writers don't seem to think this stuff out properly.
                    https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

...I just hate it when writers don't seem to think this stuff out properly.
                      Michael Crichton. Every book of his I've read has major howlers.
                      C-130 ==> largest plane
                      30 feet around ==> largest tree
                      ... and off and off and off ... ('cause it sure ain't on!)
                      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

• My MIL is an idiot.
                        Unseen but seeing
                        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                        3rd shift needs love, too
                        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

• Tom Clancy's writing shows that he definitely doesn't know trucks.

Sum of All Fears: Driver stops to get a big meal at the beginning of a run where the time frame is barely possible while running illegally (completely impossible for a single running a legal log). Also, says that cargo containers don't pose a balance issue for ships because they're all loaded to the legal limit for highway transport. The container of interest to the plot contains a load which can be (and is) moved into a regular van (i.e. 4 wheels class 1 vehicle).

Debt of Honor: Driver in fog sets his clearance lights to bright flash mode to make his rig more visible. These lights have only 2 modes: on and off. Perhaps he meant turning on the 4-ways (common practice in fog).

Walter Wager, in "58 minutes" (one of the Die Hard movies is based on it) also shows technical ignorance when the bad guys choose a Dodge Omni (been a while, might have been a Plymouth Horizon, the Omni's corporate twin) for a particular mission because it has four wheel drive. The Omni/Horizon are front wheel drive subcompacts.
                          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

• Quoth wolfie View Post
                            ... technical ignorance ...
                            ... is the definition of Hollywood.
                            "Oedipus Schmoedipus! Just as long as a boy loves his mother!" movie mogul response to script critique pointing out problems/
                            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

• There was a "suspicious package" at work today. Client Security took care of it with their usual professionalism.

And while this was happening, I couldn't help but picture that scene in the movie "Fight Club" when the narrator's luggage is detonated because it was vibrating.

"Nine times out of ten, it's an electric razor, but every once in a while, it's a dildo. Of course, it's company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo. We have to use the indefinite article, A dildo, never YOUR dildo."

I'm not sure what this says about me.
                              PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

• You know when you're hungry, but nothing sounds good?

How do you know you live in an old, weird, badly converted house? When the guy remodeling the apartment next door to yours turns off the breaker for that unit, and a random socket in your unit turns off. Also, not all the sockets turn off for the other unit, the one that the breaker is for.
                                Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Working...
                                X