What Are You Reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
    I am in a big Star Wars mood so my next book is a SW novel!
    The first Star Wars books was ghost written by Alan Dean Foster. If you are not familiar with him check out his Commonwealth series of novels, especially those about Flinx.

He wrote a number Star Wars books, the latest being Star Trek: The Unsettling Stars.
    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

• And Disney refuses to pay him for his work using a BS excuse that they acquired the property, not the obligation to pay the author. It's outrageous. Even the SFWA has called out Disney.

My interest right now is in the Clone Wars era (because I'm watching Clone Wars, surprise ) so I have a nice little TBR from that time period. I am starting with Master & Apprentice by Claudia Gray.
      https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

• I've just started on "Servant of the Dragon", the third in David Drake's "Lord of the Isles" series. I've had the first book for a very long time, but didn't read it because after I bought it I found that it was part of a long series that was not finished at that point.

I recently read "No Parachute", by Arthur Gould Lee. It's a first-hand account of being a fighter pilot in World War I, back when aircraft were still a very new thing.

I have a couple of books on the Golden Age of Air Racing (the 20s and 30s in the US) theoretically showing up tomorrow that I hope to start on soon. I love those old birds, especially the Gee Bee Model Z.
        “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
        One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
        The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

• Just found out there is now a sequel to the book Ready PLayer One called ironicly Ready Player Two. I am about half way through. kinda interesting so another quest this time forced by an interesting antaognoist same characters as the first book

also reading the new Hunger Games prequel about Snow and his history. hope it is another trilogy
          I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
          -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

• Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
            I have started reading The House In The Cerulean Sea.
            The above book was on the Washington Post Paperback Bestsellers list recently at position 8.

As far as I know, this is the first time a book has appeared on a bestseller list after I have read it.

Comment

• I'm nearly finished ripping through An Evil Spirit Out of the West by Paul Doherty. It's about the rise (and crashing fall) of the Great Heretic, Akenhaten (who may or may not have been Tutankhamen's father, nobody seems to be too sure).

This book sure doesn't portray either Akenhaten or Nefertiti in a very good light, but nothing too surprising when you consider they had not only absolute royal power but took on all of a god's powers as ... basically meaning that anything they did was not only acceptable but right.

I had read it before but had forgotten all about it.Was up most of last night trying to get through it again.
              Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
              ~ Mr Hero

Comment

• I am reading The Laughter of Dead Kings by Elizabeth Peters.

Comment

• Distracted, by Maggie Jackson.
                  Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

• I finished reading The Stone Sky by N.K. Jemisin, and I really liked the trilogy. It's not a happy story, but the ending felt hopeful. It's a good science fiction / fantasy story with some really interesting concepts and complex characters who feel real.

Now I'm reading Old Man's War by John Scalzi. Also science fiction, but it's a much lighter, quicker read. At least so far.
                    "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
                    -Mira Furlan

Comment

• Does not yet published count? I just finished the latest one from my author BF, it's scheduled to be published on Amazon later this week. It's pretty good. BF has always been a good story teller. His technical chops have improved a lot, too, and it's much easier for me to read his stuff now that I'm not also trying to edit it (GF is the main editor now, and she has an edit minion to help her, which leaves me with just admin duties, which I am totally fine with).
                      You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

• I've just started They Also Ran by Irving Stone. It's about some of the presidential candidates who, for better or for worse, didn't win.

The first two in the book were journalists. Imagine that.
                        Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                        ~ Mr Hero

Comment

• Boudica by Vanessa Collingridge.

You...can probably guess the subject. 😄
                          https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

• I am reading Borrower of the Night by Elizabeth Peters.

Comment

• I'm thinking about rereading The Hungar Games again, just because.
                              Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

• Plowed my way through the first couple Brother Cadfael mysteries again. Been a couple years since I touched the series, forgot how much I liked it - especially once Hugh is introduced.
                                Cheap, fast, good. Pick two.
                                They want us to read minds, I want read/write.

Comment

Working...
                                X