This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will I Escape the Back Room?

I should know something soon . . .or at least have an interview.

Our long time Scan Person (MeMaw) has recently given her notice (she's turning 65 in December and has applied for Social Security and Medicare.) Her last day will be November 22, which is roughly a month away.

Last Monday, I arrived at work to find various signs in the breakroom, back office, and back room areas annoucing that her job has been posted and that New Manager (aka Hot Pants, due to her preference for wearing brightly patterned slacks) would be holding interviews last week.

No worries, I already had an application online, so all she had to do was pull it up. She had already stated a couple of weeks prior that she had a few people asking about the position (no surprise, it's one of 2 Mon-Fri positions in our store - the other being DSD which is what I've been doing for years.)

I know the Scanning job like the back of my hand . . . I have been the de facto backup Scan person since I came to that store in Nov. of 2006. I also had been a Scan Manager at a couple of stores back in the 90s when I was at the WD.

Apparently she was able to pull up 4 applications on Monday (other than mine) and none of them had experience.

My reaction to that:

So I went in to make sure my application was still there so I can formally apply . . . apparently I had a password on it that I couldn't recall. Even though there was an option for me to fill out a new application, the system wouldn't let me file it.

At that point, I had to contact the HR department at HQ by phone to get it reset . . . Hot Pants said she couldn't reset it on her end.

Only issue w/calling them is they are only open Mon-Fri from 8 to 5. I thought I'd have time after I got home from work to call, but as Mom and I got stranded on the side of the road on the way home (the car decided to stop right as we were crossing railroad tracks of all places) I couldn't call after I arrived home, since it was just after 5 when we finally made it home (after one of our friends who lived near that area came and got us jumped off.)

So on Tuesday, I was able to get that done before lunchtime and managed to get that taken care of and let Hot Pants know . . . not sure if she got a chance to pull it up because I haven't seen her in the store since then.

Either way, we'll see what happens. I'd really hate to see someone else come in from another store and take that position, especially if they don't have experience. It's not a job that one can learn in a month and run with . . . this is in essence the central nervous system of store operations. If your pricing isn't accurate, and an inspector from the State Weights and Measures Dept. comes in - then the store will be shut down until the problem is rectified.

Besides, this is basically a work alone w/out much butting in from Management type job, so the person who is selected had better be focused.

But we'll see what happens this coming week . . .I have my fingers crossed.
    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Good luck becoming a Scanner! (Please don't blow up my head.)

Comment

I can do a tarot reading to see what kind of answer we get if you want
      https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
      Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Got a candle lit for ya.

Comment

Not much of an update, other than I had my interview Wed before last with both Hot Pants and Sarge, which lasted around 30 minutes. Nothing much to tell from that, other than I was asked if there was anyone currently in the store that I can train as a backup, which frankly there's not and I told them that.

So I'm currently waiting to hear . . . there were 4 others interviewing that same day, so with Hot Pants being on vacation this past week, the decision hasn't been announced yet.

MeMaw has also been on vacation this past week, so I filled in and had Shug (the young lady from the Deli who I'm currently training as a DSD backup) help with hanging tags (turns out the girl that was being used, who worked on front end register is no longer with the company.) We got through this past week, but the weekly test scan wasn't finished due to 1) so many tags being changed over due to a buy 2 get 1 free promotion ending and 2) Shug was 2 hrs late coming in Friday morning due to her car not starting (I only had 6 hrs to work with that day) and both myself and Sarge were covering the deliveries until she could get there.

They'll have to make a decision this coming week . . . MeMaw's last day is this coming Thursday.
          Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Working...
          X