This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We're getting old data from aggregator

A data aggregator the bank uses is giving us outdated information, but I'm not sure what to do about it.

The bank where I'm a lender gets a bi-weekly paper (in the mail, yet) newsletter from a data aggregator in our county. It lists bankruptcies, court cases that have resulted in judgments, sales of real estate, and mortgages. All these things are public record, but it's nice to have them all listed in one place. We skim through it looking for the names of customers. We also check the mortgage section to see if our competitors are getting more customers than we are.

As I was skimming through the latest one, I saw a mortgage I recognized. But to my surprise, it wasn't a recent one. We funded the purchase of that home in May of 2018! So, naturally, I spot checked a few of the others. None of the sales were more recent than July of 2018.

This newsletter is giving us information that's more than a year out of date. It makes the information near worthless. I mentioned it to the new branch manager, but he didn't seem too disturbed by it. Granted, he was in between much more urgent things.

The bank pays about $100 a year for this newsletter. But if it doesn't have current information, what's the point? I might bring it up again later with the branch manager, but if he doesn't care, I don't see any reason to take it any farther than that, I guess.
    "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
    -Mira Furlan

Is there a customer contact for hte newsletter itself? Maybe you could drop them a message with what you noticed.

Is it happening regularly or was it only that issue that had the wrong data?

Comment

I hadn't checked previous issues, but I suspect the information has been sketchy for a while. I haven't seen my bank's mortgages showing up in the mortgage section of the newsletter for a long while. Other than the one I mentioned, of course.

There's an address listed in the newsletter, but no email, website, or phone number. I could send them a letter, perhaps, but what would I say? What good would it be to threaten to cancel our subscription when my supervisor doesn't seem to care that the information's old?
      "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
      -Mira Furlan

Comment

Doesn't that make it an aggravator?
        My son thinks I'm Lucifer Morningstar. I'm not sure he's wrong.

Comment

That suggests a title for a murder mystery, "The Aggravating Aggregator."
          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ghel View Post
            I hadn't checked previous issues, but I suspect the information has been sketchy for a while. I haven't seen my bank's mortgages showing up in the mortgage section of the newsletter for a long while. Other than the one I mentioned, of course.

There's an address listed in the newsletter, but no email, website, or phone number. I could send them a letter, perhaps, but what would I say? What good would it be to threaten to cancel our subscription when my supervisor doesn't seem to care that the information's old?
            Annoying there isn't other contact information; but I might consider a letter to the snail mail address. Don't threaten to cancel or anything, just point out that in Issue # on #Date#, you noticed bad data in the $Charts$, and mention it is something that should be corrected in the future. Maybe mention your job and why you are aware that data is wrong; as much as you feel comfortable saying.

If they don't take any action, well you tried at least.

Comment

Working...
            X