This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Again with "what's the big deal?"

I mentioned how the vendor for my company's biggest contract is a colossal fuck up, there is a problem on literally every one of his jobs. Naturally, there's one on this one too. We have a mix of tall and short panels. Right at our starting point, it is on the plans as a tall panel, but I don't have it, instead I have a short panel. Now, considering that this is the starting point, it's kind of a big deal to get this sorted out. But I can't just call for clarification because all I'll get is "follow the plans, that panel must be there somewhere". So I have to go through the packing slips to find out what was ordered. This is a chore in itself because rather than giving me a streamlined packing slip, I have multiple - there's one for the panels, one for the panel components, one for the surfaces, one for the surfacing component, one for the accessories, one for the chairs, one for the extras; about 50-70 pages of crap to sift through. As an added complication, they sometimes love to throw on something in the wrong section, so this mystery panel could very well be listed somewhere on the chair packing slip. Finally after all that, I conclude that the tall panel was not ordered, and this short panel which is not anywhere on the plans was ordered.

So it's pretty clear what happened here - once again, as usual, the vendor screwed up. Can't be sure if he ordered wrong or designed wrong, but it's a typical screw up. So I send a priority email advising of the situation and that I need an immediate answer. I actually do get a prompt reply:

SC: Hi Evilhomer, I don't see what the big deal is here, obviously you have to use the small panel

He could have just admitted and given a typical lame excuse for his obvious mistake, but no, he's got to treat it as a non-issue and insult my intelligence for not going down the "obvious" path. Anytime someone says something is "obvious", it just triggers me. If something is "obvious", you have to be a moron to not know it. I cannot allow this moron and his smug attitude to stand

Me: Obviously I am supposed to build to plan. Obviously I cannot build to plan if I do not have the parts on the plan. Obviously some kind of change has to be made. Obviously I need authorization to make such a change. Obviously this is why I needed to contact you. As this panel was our starting point, obviously it is a big deal to get this authorization promptly as our deadline never changes regardless of these problems. Thanks.

He didn't bother replying to that one. I imagine my MiM might have something to say but they can bite me, they refuse to demand that this assclown gets his shit in order, they can't be surprised when the frustration of dealing with this on every job boils over.
    D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

This seems like such a lose-lose situation for you. If you do what you did and point out that you don't have the parts to follow the plans, then you might get in trouble for pointing that out. But if you modify the plans to fit the parts you have, then you might get in trouble for not following the plans. Getting clarification and documenting what you're told to do is your only option to CYA.
    "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
    -Mira Furlan

Comment

Sounds like

Time to include a clean up fee to be added to ALL quotes for future jobs.

You either get rid of a problem customer or make the money to cover their "mistakes".

Comment

If they managed a parking lot, I wonder how they would handle the news that the lot is full.
        https://youtu.be/234QcicJZ6c

Comment

Working...
        X