This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Errors in Proof

[BG] Proof is the department of the bank (actually one person per branch) who scans the tickets (checks, deposit slips, etc.) into the computer and makes sure all the transactions balance. If the scanner doesn't read the items correctly, the proof operator has to look at the images and key in the amounts or whatever's missing. Sometimes, the scanner doesn't read the handwritten part of the item at all - maybe the customer used pink or green ink, for example. Then the proof operator has to pull out the original item and key in the missing information. [/BG]

We were informed on Monday that our branch has far more proof errors than any other branch, including the main one. (Maybe percentage-wise? It wasn't clear.) The solution they came up with is to pull reports off mainframe twice a month that show what the errors were and review them. It was heavily implied that the proof operator and the branch manager would be digging into the errors to see what they were and try to find a pattern in the hopes of reducing the number of errors.

But as our proof operator pointed out, a lot of the errors won't be fixable. Customers have terrible handwriting. Sometimes they use odd-colored ink. Or glitter ink. On those tickets that are printed/typed, sometimes the ink gets faint. Also, our proof machine isn't the greatest, so the tickets sometimes get stuck. Or any number of other things.

Still, we are being required to pull reports twice a month and review them. In order to reduce work for the proof operator, they're making more work for the proof operator and branch manager.
    "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
    -Mira Furlan

"We'll need daily reports on why you're behind on projects until you're caught up" Sounds about right.

Comment

Quoth Buzzard View Post
      "We'll need daily reports on why you're behind on projects until you're caught up" Sounds about right.
      A variation of the old saying, "Beatings will continue until morale improves."
      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Yeah,it's annoying, but if you are having more errors per month than others, it's worth a little effort. Honestly if they can show a cause (equipment issues),then they might actually make it better in the long run.
        Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

"After two months of reviewing the errors generated in the proofing department, it has become clear that one of two things is the root cause:
          Either a higher percentage of our customers submit checks and deposit slips that are not acceptably filled out, or our scanner is defective.
          We recommend replacing the scanner with a brand new machine and seeing if that improves the rate of successful scans."

I have found great success with returning the serve in that way. "You must be doing something wrong." "Nope, it's you who are the source of the problem, and fixing it will cost tens of thousands of dollars. Or you can just learn to like it as-is. Your call."

Comment

Alternatively, you can replace the customers that don't fill out the paperwork properly with ones that do.

The new scanner will be much cheaper.
            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

I suspect upper management would rather put notices in with statements saying "please use blue or black ink and print clearly when filling out checks and deposit slips" rather than investing in a better proof scanner. We all know how well customers read notices we provide.
              "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
              -Mira Furlan

Comment

Here is how much it costs us to run a broken system.
                Here is how much it will cost to fix it.

Choose wisely.
                Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                Save the Ales!
                Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Working...
                X