This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Okay, Hal, knock it off already!

Around 7 p.m. tonight our computer system decided to revolt (our system is revolting ...yes indeedy ...)

You'd scan the rewards card.

And wait. And wait. And wait.

And then finally a notice would come up: the system was offline. Meaning the customer should get any points that were coming to them, but couldn't use any points to pay for their groceries.

Then the customer would pay for their groceries. Or try to.

They'd tap their card.

And wait. And wait. And wait. (The system finally graciously allowed one customer to pay on her FOURTH attempt. Left to my own devices, I'd have told her to just take her stuff and go home.)

And as I said, it was the company computer system. Although I suspect my register was the worst, all the registers -- including the self-serve ones -- were doing this, for approximately the last three hours of the store's operations.

Two other staffers had to jump on registers to try to get the line down, because of course tonight we were unusually busy. I can't answer for their customers, but mine were absolutely gems, given the time they spent waiting to get to a register and then the time it took for them to actually be able to hand over their hard-earned cash so they could take their stuff and go home.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

That could've created a whole new flock of Karens. So glad you avoided that fate! This is why not everything should be computerized. Well, that and power outages.
    Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Was the customer's name Dave?

"I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that."
      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Heck, even the anime abridgers have gotten in on that one
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
          There were multiple customers during this time, and who knows, one of them might indeed have been named Dave. Have to admit, I wasn't worried about their names ... just about getting them OUT of there.
          Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
          ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Working...
          X