Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When flying into the local major airport they like to say "welcome to Providence". However you are a 12 miles south of that wonderful little city and are instead stuck in Warwick (because who would pay good money to fly to a place called "Warwick"...) until such point in time you can escape.

At least Logan is across the harbor from Boston proper.

Comment

Quoth prjkt View Post
      Here, Melbourne has at least 4 or 5. One of which is at the end of my street
      Rapid has one airport, nine miles east is Ellsworth AFB and thirty or so miles west is the Spearfish airport, which is smaller than Rapid's.
      Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

Quoth bbbr View Post
        (because who would pay good money to fly to a place called "Warwick"...)
        I would.At least then I can get a souvenir that actually has my NAME on...
        The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Quoth SimonF12009 View Post
          London City as well
          Doh! I always forget that one.
          "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

And Luton. So that's five, not counting heliports:

Heathrow
            Gatwick
            Stansted
            Luton
            City

City is actually the smallest of the five airports in the area, and is stuck on a former Docklands site, essentially in the middle of the Thames. There are enough tall buildings around it that aircrew flying into it are required to have special training for an unusually steep approach.

Comment

It's when they advertise it as London Luton that the foreigners realize it's a good hour's train ride out of the city.
              I'm now racking my brains to work out where scruff is Close to a major boundary, small town that can be confused with a bigger one,but still big enough to have seven stations....
              The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
                ...I'm now racking my brains to work out where scruff is ...
                Directly above the centre of the earth... obviously.
                I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

There really aren't many places big enough to have seven railway stations, and even fewer small enough to have *only* seven.

Even Carlisle has "only" six railway lines radiating from it (used to be eight, before the Silloth and Waverley lines were closed), and they all converge on *one* station (although there were a huge number of *goods* stations until the late 60s, roughly one per railway). The other notable border-post on the Scottish border is Berwick-upon-Tweed, which could be confused with several other Berwicks but has only one station.

Other possibilities include Newcastle-under-Lyme in Staffordshire, but that's rather more than an hour away from Newcastle-upon-Tyne by any reasonable mode of transport. I'm also not sure that it's terribly close to the Welsh border.

Comment

Quoth Chromatix View Post
                    And Luton. So that's five...

Having previously lived in Luton (and escaped! W00T!), I don't count it as it's geographically in another town. I was only listing those within the physical boundaries of London itself.

Of course now I'm wondering which town/city in the world has the largest number of airports within its geographical borders...
                    "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Not including military bases and podunk airports, the Washington, DC area has three: Dulles, Reagan, and BWI
                      "People can be relied upon to assert, with vigor, their god-given right to be stupid." from Seize the Night by Dean Koontz

Comment

Well, Gatwick is halfway to Brighton. I find it hard to believe that it's genuinely in London, but it justifies being called a London airport because there is good, direct transport to the city centre.

Stansted is also quite some distance out, in roughly the opposite direction.

Comment

Quoth dawnfire View Post
                          Tullamarine, Essendon, Avalon and Moorabin.
                          And Tooradin ( just outside of Melbourne proper, but still probably a little closer than Avalon)

Moorabbin airport is actually at the end of my street

Comment

Quoth bbbr View Post
                            When flying into the local major airport they like to say "welcome to Providence". However you are a 12 miles south of that wonderful little city and are instead stuck in Warwick (because who would pay good money to fly to a place called "Warwick"...) until such point in time you can escape.

At least Logan is across the harbor from Boston proper.
                            And yet, the airport code for Greene is "PVD". Then again...New Hampshire's Manchester-Boston Regional is actually in...Bedford.

At least Logan is actually in Boston. (Eastie is still Boston...)

Comment

Working...
                            X