This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Documentation Needed

There's an aspect of COC in this, but mostly it's the SCs. I've had a lot of customers lately not bringing in the correct documentation to open accounts.

There was the loan Goodhair opened without getting the proper corporate documents for the business. Since I opened the associated checking account (I don't know why me, except that Goodhair knows I'm competent), I was asked for the CIP* info. He had docs in the form of "Lakeland Properties, LLC", but the actual business name is "Lakeland Properties of City, LLC." I know the latter is the actual business name because they effing filed taxes under that name and that's how it's registered with the Secretary of State. We just don't have organization docs in that name.

Then there was the SC who came in asking to change his dad's accounts so he could sign checks. His dad died two years ago, you see. The first checking account was joint between dad and his son and his daughter (SC's siblings). Which means only the siblings can access the account, and SC needs to contact them to add him to the account. The other account is a trust account, which means we have to go by the trust document. Which, luckily, we had a copy of. SC's brother is the trustee and so can sign checks. But, SC argued, the trust document lists him as successor trustee. Yes, but only if brother is unable to perform the duties of trustee. So we need documentation of that. SC says he had it, but not with him. Sorry, I need to see it before you can sign checks. He asks if I can have him sign a new signature card and he can bring in the documentation later. No. Bring in the documentation first, then I'll change the signature card. Also, this guy was in such a hurry. He came in half an hour before close and said he needed to get all this done, not before we closed, but before the credit union closed because he needed to go there, too. Why is it always the customers who have the most complicated stuff that are in the biggest hurry?

The above one and this last one were both brought to me by the head teller. I'm not supposed to be doing deposit accounts, according to the branch manager, but since I'm not busy with loans I'll do them. Head teller hands me a sheet of paper on which she's written the names of three sisters, only one of whom is a current customer. The other two are supposed to bring in their ID when they come in to sign the signature card for the checking account she wants me to open. But there's no info for these sisters - no address, phone, etc. So I can't even type up the signature card until they get here. Also, at first she said to open the account as "Family Reunion Account". But if they want to title it that way, I need at tax ID number. So she says never mind that, just open it as a joint account between the three of them. And when are they coming back in? After the funeral - this was the only day all three of them were going to be in town to sign. Great. <sigh>

*CIP: Customer Information Program. This is the documentation proving that a customer is who they say they are. Photo ID and a second ID for individuals, corporate documents and Certificate of Good Standing for businesses.
    "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
    -Mira Furlan

Quoth Ghel View Post
    Why is it always the customers who have the most complicated stuff that are in the biggest hurry?
    Classic scamming technique. Create a high pressure situation to get you to cut corners. Does the bank have an obligation to contacts the sibs about this? I wonder what would have happened if you tried to call his brother to see if "He can come down and help work this out?"
    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
    Save the Ales!
    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Agreed. Your bank must have great ventilation to not smell a rat.
      I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
      -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth Ghel View Post
        There's an aspect of COC in this, but mostly it's the SCs. I've had a lot of customers lately not bringing in the correct documentation to open accounts.
        What is COC if you don't mind me asking?
        Note to self: Hot glass looks like Cold glass.

Comment

It's a forum section here-- Calling Out Coworkers.
          “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
          One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
          The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

*Cursing out Coworkers ^__^
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I get this all the time in phone hell too, mainly in two variations:

1) Oh, XXX employee or the infamous "Guy at the store" said he'd give you this freebie/discount/special offer/etc?

- What was their name?
              - What did they look like?
              - When did you go there/call us? (This often ellicits a vague response like "sometime last week")
              - What department were they with?
              - What store location or center are they from?

If the situation is legit, the customer should be able to easily answer all these questions. Guess how often SCs get confounded by them?

2) Account validation

Okay, let's get this straight. YOU ARE JUST A VOICE ON A PHONE LINE. I can't see you, I can't verify an ID, I'd never met you until 15 seconds ago when this call started.

I don't care that you're the account holders wife, that you've been married for 23 years, that you ALWAYS handle the account for him and that we've always allowed you access to it, if you don't know the PIN, game over. I am NOT losing my job simply because you think our security policies shouldn't apply to you.

For all I know this could be a now EX-wife trying to mess with her husbands account. That happens...a lot. That's why account security is important.

Funnily enough, the analogy I always use with customers here is: "What if someone could walk into your bank, say they were you and wanted to withdraw $1000 and the bank just gave them your money without asking them for anything else?" because THAT's what you're asking me to do. It'd be stupid for the bank to do it and it's stupid for me to do it too.
              "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

When my aunt died and named me as her executor in her will I had to show the letters testamentary and IDs and I don't remember what else when taking care of her estate. She was a 40+ year resident of a very small town, and I think it helped that I looked like her, because no one questioned that I was her niece when I went to various places around town to take care of things in her estate. Still, I fully understood why I had to show IDs and the legal paperwork and I tried not to be one of "those customers".

Comment

IF the SC with the trust account comes back, I suspect it will be several weeks. He didn't come back yesterday, despite being in a hurry to get the account changed so he could sign checks. Which suggests that he doesn't have the documentation that he said he did, where his brother says he's not able to be trustee and passes it to SC. Possible scammer, I suppose, but I think it's more him not realizing that the estate and the trust are separate entities that need separate documentation. He was asking to order checks, which I refused (of course), so I doubt he has any access to the account yet.

The sisters were nice when they came in. I had no issues getting ID from them, and they were pleasant while I typed up the account. The funeral was apparently for a friend of the family, so they weren't obviously grieving while at my desk. In fact, one was sharing vacation pictures.
                  "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
                  -Mira Furlan

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                    Derp. Sorry.
                    Note to self: Hot glass looks like Cold glass.

Comment

Quoth Sparklyturtle View Post
                      When my aunt died and named me as her executor in her will I had to show the letters testamentary and IDs and I don't remember what else when taking care of her estate. She was a 40+ year resident of a very small town, and I think it helped that I looked like her, because no one questioned that I was her niece when I went to various places around town to take care of things in her estate. Still, I fully understood why I had to show IDs and the legal paperwork and I tried not to be one of "those customers".
                      What really shocked me was the number of places where I just say "I have power of attorney for my mom" and they are like "Oh, OK."

Seriously, I do EVERYTHING for my mom. Maybe three people have actually asked to see documents, or even my ID.

Comment

Quoth wordgirl View Post
                        What really shocked me was the number of places where I just say "I have power of attorney for my mom" and they are like "Oh, OK."

Seriously, I do EVERYTHING for my mom. Maybe three people have actually asked to see documents, or even my ID.
                        And that's what happens when you overwork and underpay your frontline employees. They stop giving a crap about anything.
                        "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

apoc -- No worries We're here to help. Please feel free to drop me or another mod a line any time you have a question.
                          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Accounts

Long before she died my mom added my name to most of her accounts.

I was also at the writing of her will and had her add the reasons why she did not want some of my other brothers having control of the money.

After she died and I had the lawyer figure out how much money each of my brothers niece and nephews should get. Before I could send out the checks the lawyer and I had to send out a form to each of them telling how much money they would get my second oldest brother (I am the oldest) wanted me to distribute the money differently than what my mother had requested.

I am sure if mom had allowed him to access the accounts that the money would not have gone where she had wanted.

Comment

Goodhair is now refusing to get the last piece of documentation from the first story in my OP. He has contacted the customer multiple times, and each time they've provided the same documents, none of which are what we need. We either need article of organization for Lakeland Properties of City, LLC, or we need a name change document from Lakeland Properties, LLC to Lakeland Properties of City, LLC. Goodhair says he's bothered the customer enough, that he doesn't want to damage the relationship he has with them (the owners of the company have other accounts with the bank), and that he's willing to argue with FDIC examiners over it.

Meanwhile, since I'm the one who opened the checking account, my name is on the exception report that goes to the board of directors. I don't care much, because when anyone asks, I direct them to Goodhair. But for some reason, Branch Manager decided this morning that I need to get as much info as I have to the Auditor right away. Everything with him is always either "don't worry about it" or "this needs to be done RIGHT NOW." So I filled in as much as I could and emailed it to the Auditor, explaining that we don't have the articles yet.

That's when BM told me Goodhair was refusing to collect the articles. I told him he better explain it to Auditor, then. Because I wasn't going to get into the middle of it.
                              -Mira Furlan

Comment

Working...
                              X