This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hurricane Ophelia

...is on its way. Brits and Irishies,batten down the hatches.

We may get some strong winds,rain and a few things flying past the window...
    The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
    winds,rain and a few things flying past the window...
    And how is that different than any other day in the UK?

Seriously, take care and stay safe.
    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
    Save the Ales!
    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

So far...3 dead, 230'000 without power,and all non-emergency business(schools,government etc) closed in Ireland...lots of trees down on roads and rail lines in Wales and down in the South West,we just got the last of the winds-lots of bins and fence panels and things blowing around. There's a large tree branch that was blowing wildly very close to the greenhouse,but its survived...so far
      The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Holy shit! Crossing my fingers that everyone stays safe and there are no more deaths. That's just scary.
        A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Comment

Yowza, that is awful! Will be thinking of you and hoping you're safe!
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
            So far...3 dead, 230'000 without power,and all non-emergency business(schools,government etc) closed in Ireland...
            It does suck I can't help wondering about the deaths though; 2 people were killed in their cars when trees fell on them (and what was so important they had to go out before the winds died down?) and 1 died due to a "chainsaw related accident" when he was trying to chop up a tree downed in the storm; why didn't he wait until the storm was over before trying to deal with it?

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/s...-a3659481.html
            "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

That's what happens in every wind storm around here... last year a dad was killed bt a tree driving with his toddler child. Where to, in the middle of a storm? On the way home from Costco. I think part of it is the lack of any Impressive Named Staorm. Here it's just "Winter Storm Warning."
              Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Greek jester, “what could be so important”is a question we ask in New England every time there is a severe snowstorm. There will always be a great number of idiots who think that their vehicle is somehow impervious to blizzards.

As for chainsaw guy.....without knowing the details, the most charitable explanation I can think of is that the tree for some reason -say it was through a window or presenting a further risk of injury or damage - had to be moved right away. Or he’s just a dumbass.

Stay safe everyone!
                "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
                  There will always be a great number of idiots who think that their vehicle is somehow impervious to blizzards.
                  A lot of them seem to think, "I'll be okay, I've got four-wheel drive!"

Forgetting that "four-wheel drive" does NOT mean "four-wheel stop."
                  PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                    ... Forgetting that "four-wheel drive" does NOT mean "four-wheel stop."
                    Or even more amusing, "four-wheel cornering"
                    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I saw a study not too long ago that said that four-wheel drive only has one benefit. Getting started from a stop in slick conditions. The braking is no better and the cornering is no better.

And none of that protects you from a falling tree or flying debris.
                      Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                      Save the Ales!
                      Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
                        And none of that protects you from a falling tree or flying debris.
                        I did see a picture of a situation where the four wheel drive vehicles saved someone from a falling tree. Their small car was parked between two big four wheel drive vehicles. The tree rested across the bigger vehicles and didn't touch the smaller car.
                        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Working...
                        X