This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Border Madness and Technicalities

All who are over this situation, say aye.

It's been really challenging working at the motel lately. Cleanliness, disinfecting everything, dealing with cancellation red tape because of the constantly changing border laws etc etc.

On the east coast of Australia there are three states Queensland, New South Wales and Victoria as the southernmost.
    Victoria is under complete and total lockdown, no one in and no one out.
    NSW is as well only because the premier of QLD declared a hard line to completely close up last week.

I live in QLD but work at a motel on the border between QLD and NSW. It could be one big suburb if the FREAKING BORDER DIDNT CUT THROUGH THE MIDDLE. So of course things get very blurry and technical around here.

In official statements, a person from NSW can travel anywhere in the state without restriction. The problem is that when I check IDs I always end up on the edge of my seat because guests tend to come from areas that are close to hotspots. I get the guest to sign a document saying if they've been to a hotspot, if they've come into contact with anyone and if they have symptoms. It's not foolproof and I'm always wary of these guests.

Honestly, it'd be easier to just implement a complete travel shutdown but then I'd be accused of being a draconian asshole.

The border checkpoints are another matter entirely. Within the span of a month, we've gone through at least 5 different border passes that are getting more technical every time. Right now, there's one for emergency workers, one for the general population for non-urgent business and another one specifically for people who live in suburbs close to the border.

Each time, I get exasperated because while it doesn't take long to get one, it's still horribly tedious. And each time there's a new pass, the traffic backs up to the point it takes at least an hour to get home if I take a detour. Speaking of, I don't plan on using the highway soon because to get to the checkpoint on there would take at least an hour.

Business is slowly getting off the ground again, but with the constant zig zagging of cases down south, I wouldn't be surprised if we had to shut down for a few weeks. I am just so over this whole situation because the higher ups are having a battle of egos instead of making things smoother for the little man.

Quoth PoliteBoy View Post
    Honestly, it'd be easier to just implement a complete travel shutdown but then I'd be accused of being a draconian asshole.
    And if you don't, you are an ignorant asshole. Flip a coin. Either way you lose.

Stay safe!
    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
    Save the Ales!
    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth PoliteBoy View Post
      ... but then I'd be accused of being a draconian asshole.
      Sometimes, you gotta do what you gotta do. Nothing wrong with that. Besides, if the law and/or policy says to do it, then it needs to be done, no matter what the customers think.

Kind regards,

Your favorite draconian mod team
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Yikes!
        All I can say is you've got one heck of a messy situation there. The Koboshi Moru is more of a winning situation than that.

Good luck.
        "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

Working...
        X