This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thwarted a prettty substantial walkoff

Yesterday evening, maybe around 5PM or so. An audit is triggered on a woman with an overflowing cart on SCO. I go over, say hi, the usual. She's acting a bit jumpy and right off gets a bit belligerent. OK, that happens sometimes....but something right away tells me I'm not letting this one go.

When an audit is triggered, the scan-gun displays the order total. $180-something. I glance at the cart...at least ten FULL store reusable bags, all brand new. I have seen legit orders with full carts, but no way in Hades (even with 'new math') is that sub-$200. There's something off about the way the bags are arranged and packed as well.

I spy a LOT of meat and seafood in the bags on the bottom, and go for those. SC immediately gets more squirrelly, trying to push my hand away and saying "oh, this is on a different order, this is on another card" (why is everything in bags in the cart then?) "Can we hurry this up, I have someone waiting for me" while she's on the phone with someone (I hear her say "She says she needs to scan some random shit"...AHA I never told SC exactly what I was doing, so she's probably gotten away with this before).

Nearly a dozen items in a row don't scan (as in they were never scanned to begin with); all expensive meat, shrimp, can crabmeat, etc.

I tell SC that the scan-gun system is down and that I need to re-ring everything. She gets jumpier and tries to bully me into letting her go "This is bullshit, I have to leave [I bet you do], I have kids waiting in the car, etc etc bitch whine." Two of the burlier Produce guys are now lurking nearby. After a few rounds of this (and my making it clear that I was going to see the transaction completed), she leaves everything and bolts. I immediately push the cart over near the desk/out of the way and let Shithead and J know what happened.

J puts a register in training mode and starts to ring everything in. A few of us are just watching the total climb onscreen and the merch pile up on the register (both belts were full and I had to get a cart). Most of it is meat and seafood (all target items). I got one photo and either Shithead or J was recording everything.

The final grand total was just under $800; just a bit over the felony threshold. The total actually scanned on the gun was the original $180-something. Shithead said that the only reason for the audit was that SC got greedy; she had originally scanned more, then voided $40-$50. If not for that void, she probably would have gotten away with it; overflowing carts isn't an uncommon sight with the scan-guns.

S in the deli remembered cutting some meat and cheese for the pair (other half was likely the one in the car), and Shithead tried to start in with "how come you didn't catch this?" I stepped in and said as long as the pair was cool about it (which they were) and didn't ask for the most expensive everything (which they didn't) there was no reason for S to suspect anything. I didn't recognize the SC with the cart, but as there are a few known 'teams' hitting us that doesn't mean much. She did use a loyalty card to get the scan-gun, so that may be able to be used to ID one of them.

Part of my 'reward' was staying 1.5 hours late to return most of the nonperishables (didn't mind, Shithead approved the hours and it was time-and-a-half). I would have stayed til 11 and done it all--I got the bulk of it done plus some other stuff--but I had a dog to get home to. Every department was hit.

I know I complain about not being paid enough to be LP, but this was ridiculously satisfying for some reason
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Nice collar Dreamstalker. I can understand how satisfying that bust can be. As you have this SC's contact info, can you get her banned?
    I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
    -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

It's always great to nail a scammer and thief (or pack of them) before they can get away with their goods. (Or more goods, in one case of mine.)
      PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

We can't access loyalty card info beyond a basic level (add/transfer points, link a replacement card, etc) at the store level, but Corporate probably can. I suspect these SCs make the rounds and when they get found out at one store go to another (or hit at a time) where nobody recognizes them. The cops were probably in the store earlier today and I just wish I'd been there too.

I did tell the morning SCO girl to ask to see the camera footage so she knows who to watch for (I didn't pay as close attention as I could have, but my focus then was not letting the cart leave and not letting the thief know I knew what was up) and I'm thinking see if manglement will let everyone on the front end see it as well.

From Shithead's reaction, that was probably the highest value that we've actually stopped from going out the door (as in didn't even get past the registers). He was high-fiving me all night and all the shift leads wanted to know what I did.

ETA:

I saw Seafood Guy walking home as I was walking to work and he actually hugged me; that bust saved Meat and Seafood almost six hundred bucks in product (everything was able to be reshelved). Apparently both police and store detectives recognized the woman--she'd probably hit us before. Shithead wants me to let him know if it shows up on the police blotter (yes, I have it as one of my Firefox start pages )...it may not as SC didn't actually get away with anything. P, who historically is either indifferent or passive-aggressive, actually thanked me yesterday. Mom wants me to train the other SCO folks on what to look for...while I'm not LP, I can probably do it as "this is what frontend associates need to watch for with scan-gun orders" although a lot of it was just a nebulous 'something doesn't seem right' and playing it from there.
        Last edited by Dreamstalker; 09-21-2016, 04:16 AM.

Comment

So I asked Shithead about letting us frontend grunts look at the camera footage, and he said "we can't do that, we'd get hit with a lawsuit." You yourself confirmed SC was trying to steal. We all know what happened, at the very least we should be allowed to look at the footage if this SC is known to LP (which it seemed like she was) so we know who/what to watch for and how to handle it.

"If we ban her she can come back and sue claiming that the scan-gun was malfunctioning."...that can't be explained away as a malfunction, you know it and you have the proof. I asked whether that was a common thing (SCs who are banned for legitimate reasons threaten to sue and get some sort of "don't take this to court" concession)...no answer which I expected.

This store's attitude toward theft/shrink is bizarre. On one hand we get yelled at come inventory and lectured about it (of course all shrink is the fault of employees), on the other hand we aren't allowed to suggest or do things that can actually solve the problems.

Comment

If you guys recognize her in the future...maybe see if y'all can rally the troops, such that she just happens to find a different employee at the end of every aisle she visits, if she begins paying attention. Don't have anyone approach her, don't let anyone say anything, just let them front the shelves and be present, no matter where she goes.
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
              This store's attitude toward theft/shrink is bizarre. On one hand we get yelled at come inventory and lectured about it (of course all shrink is the fault of employees), on the other hand we aren't allowed to suggest or do things that can actually solve the problems.
              Hence why it's "F it, not my problem." Any realistic place would have taken away these pieces of garbage from the more borderline stores like yours and mine. Hell, half the time they don't even have LP here to bother. But hey, we've done so bad on inventory, they're taking it four times a year IIRC.

Comment

Working...
              X