X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm an intern!

An unpaid intern, but I digress.

Students with my major get to choose between an internship and a final project in their last semester. Those students who choose an internship have to submit a resume and interview for the position, like with any job. Not only am I in my second-to-last semester (I graduate in May), but I got the position! I'm actually interning with the IT department at my college, I start tomorrow after my 8-11 a.m. class and I'll be going Wednesdays and Fridays for the rest of the semester. It may have helped that my student adviser is the one who organizes internships for the tech-related students, and I'm pretty sure that I'm one of maybe a handful of students with my major, but still, they found me worthy!
    The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

So, when you finish, will you put on your resume that you are an ex-tern?
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Out-tern maybe?

Comment

Stay away from horny politicians!!
        Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
          Stay away from horny politicians!!
          Well, that's the downtern. Let's look for an up...
          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

To everything, tern, tern, tern...

----

This video could be worth a watch -- regarding the legality of internships (mostly based on what they have you do -- you ain't a coffee gofer! )
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
              you ain't a coffee gofer! )
              I've already spent a significant amount of time researching laws regarding unpaid internships in my state, and my adviser told me that if I have any trouble to let her know and she'll talk to the CIO of the school (my mentors' boss). I'm actually really happy with it, since my adviser specifically placed me with mentors that would actually teach me stuff and would be happy to have me around. I think the only problem I'll have is that I'm not allowed to do any work in place of an employee. If it's someone teaching me (watching over my shoulder as I attempt to repeat something they did, for example), I'll be okay, but if I do any actual work they have to pay me for it. It means I'll probably end up doing a lot of sitting there and asking/answering questions.
              The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

Comment

Probably -- but that's the law, as you know ^_^ Internships specifically demand that you must be there to learn if they're not paying you. This is indeed an audition of sorts, so, break a leg!
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
                X