This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New job

So, after my gub'mint decided that some folks at the other end of the country would be better at doing my agency job, I've been unemployed and at the very right edge of losing my UB eligibility.

But I got offered a job today starting Sept. 1!

It'll be a mix bag of chores, but the main things are going to be Tier 1 support re: a little ERP system + Accounts Recievables related stuff. Right up my alley. And best of all: for the first time in 12 years, it's a PERMANENT position and not just a temporary one.

I'm looking forward to be able to post some SC stories again... or perhaps, maybe not... well, let's see about that.
    A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Too late. You already jinxed yourself.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Congrats! Good luck!
      Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
        Too late. You already jinxed yourself.
        Why, thanks a lot!

Actually I've already got a pair of belligerent e-mails pointing out some issues on the user end. Luckily I've got some colleagues who are used to that kind of tone and know how to respond to them in a polite matter, and I learn a lot from them.

But a thing I already cherish is how I can be the link between how accountants and ERP techs are thinking. I can take feedback from the techs and "translate" it into info that the end users can understand.
        A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

I'm good at doing that, too -- When I worked for an accounting firm (as a tech support guy), I discovered that I have a gift for taking comparatively complex topics (mostly computer-related ones) and breaking them down into words the end-users could understand. Granted, those topics were widely varied -- anything from how Items and Accounts work in accounting software down to what "right click" means (I'm not kidding o_O), depending on the user -- and I am also good at quickly figuring out just what their level of comprehension was. Came in handy.
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
          X