This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fingers crossed for a new job...

Mom let me know late last week about a new gourmet concept store opening downtown. There are locations already in a few major cities, and the idea is a large marketplace with both retail and restaurant/quick-service (prepared grab-and-go food, a table service restaurant, groceries, cooking equipment and classes...it has everything). This location took over the entire food court of an upscale mall, it's currently under renovation to open hopefully early next month.

She got an interview at a 'job fair' Monday morning (a good friend is a meat/cheese department manager), and I went as well. Mom talked up her cooking experience, travels to Italy and insistence on cooking local.

They're looking for every department, and the exciting thing about this is they're big on cross-training and giving everyone as many opportunities as they can. In grocery but wanna learn to make mozzarella or other foodie stuffs? Sure. (the mozzarella-making actually sounds intriguing and lots of fun) The managers we talked with were very excited that I had both IT and grocery experience, and loved it when I told him I like to pick up as many skills as I can just because.

I originally applied only for store IT, but I got a call back from one of the grocery managers (I got drafted to stay a few extra hours, otherwise I wouldn't have missed the call). So I called him back about setting up a day/time to meet officially, and I hope I didn't sound like too much of a dork on the phone (I'm not a telephone person). I'm really hoping he calls back, this job sounds like it would be so much fun.

EDIT: I have an interview with the grocery team on Saturday It sounds like this is gonna be a really fun place to work, and all my varied skills will actually be used. (starting pay is nearly $4 more than what I'm making now after 5 years in which doesn't hurt)
    Last edited by Dreamstalker; 10-26-2016, 10:53 PM.
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

I'll keep my fingers, toes and eyes crossed for you! That sounds like a great job. and the 4 extra $$$ don't hurt either.
    No trees were killed in the posting of this message.

However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

That sounds like a really cool place to work. Good luck with the interview.
      Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

Comment

Sending all the new job mojo I can to you! Good luck

Comment

*snoopydance*

I got my offer letter! Officially the grocery position, but they do know I have IT experience so I might be tasked for anything else as well. Training is 11/7, I think opening day is after Thanksgiving.

They don't do overnight shifts; all stock, pricing etc is wrangled during the day. Makes sense, as the location is inside a mall that also has residences and secured offices. Finally, an excuse to stop that madness.

OMG this sounds like sooo much fun. Brand-new crew of people, interesting food and the atmosphere just feels so much better.

I was originally planning to stay on 2 evenings a week here as long as I can to help out P, but if they give me fulltime I'm taking it. Not giving my notice now, I'll wait and see what my schedule there is.

Comment

That's awesome. Congratulations.
            Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

Comment

Comment

YAY! Wonderful news!
                No trees were killed in the posting of this message.

However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Excellent, congrats!!
                  “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                  One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                  The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

*flings confetti* Hooray! Congratulations!

Comment

I'll be fulltime. Not sure when I should give my notice (the schedule for next week has already been made). Thinking about waiting and seeing what my schedule will be over there in the runup to opening.

They have a pre-tax commuter benefit program Definitely thinking of taking advantage of that as I'll be using my T pass a lot more.

Comment

Awesome!!!!

Unseen but seeing
                        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                        3rd shift needs love, too
                        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
                          I'll be fulltime. Not sure when I should give my notice (the schedule for next week has already been made). Thinking about waiting and seeing what my schedule will be over there in the runup to opening.

They have a pre-tax commuter benefit program Definitely thinking of taking advantage of that as I'll be using my T pass a lot more.
                          Congrats! And based on your commuter comment and the fact I have friends where I think you are, I think I know where you'll be working. If so, I wish we had one near me!

Comment

Maybe I'll be more inclined to start cooking again as I'll be around higher-quality ingredients (and CWs that are a lot more food-savvy than ribs and beer) Not that there's anything wrong with ribs and beer, mind you.

Starting pay isn't quite as much as I thought but that doesn't matter much, the hours (and atmosphere) are what's more important to me. Pay came up in the interview and the manager asked what I was making at the store; when I said I was making just above state min. wage after five years the only reply was "That's horrifying."
                            Last edited by Dreamstalker; 11-02-2016, 09:35 PM.

Comment

Well done, sounds awesome!

Comment

Working...
                              X