Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Job! Done with retail (hopefully forever!)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Job! Done with retail (hopefully forever!)

Two weeks ago I officially left retail (permanently this time, I hope!) and started a brand new job.

I'm now working in a small hotel really near home, and not doing housekeeping this time either! The job I'd applied for was part time in the hotel's cafe, but the manager decided to have me cross-trained so I am also working at the front desk. It was only supposed to be a 16hr a week job, at most, but the manager decided that I'd be a perfect fit for the front desk as well. Mind you, because the manager knows I've done hotel housekeeping in the past, she has advised me that she may ask me to help out there when necessary...not a problem if it means I get hours!

So, going from an overnight restocking job where hours got slashed across the board for all non-managers (I went from 32 to 24 hours in less than a week...despite having been promised no less than 32 hours a week when I was hired) and getting paid minimum wage, I'm currently working 40 hrs a week for $1.60 over minimum wage, plus tips. I started two weeks ago, and they're already confident enough in my skills that I have a couple of solo front desk shifts under my belt - quicker than anybody else they've trained for that position.

I really like this new job! That it's right down the street from my home is only a cherry on top. And, provided that I maintain at least 32 hours a week, in three months time I'll have dental, vision, and prescription benefits again for the first time in entirely too damn long!

Congratulations! One step closer to freedom
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

May this be the best job you ever had.
      Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Working...
      X