This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
    ...Oh believe me given a nice pair of watermelons, I can grab one in one hand and one in the other and give them a good scanning....
    ...and that double lump in your throat *won't* be your adam's apple...
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Oh I don't think I could fit them in my throat.In my hands would be quite adequate....
      The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

I do sympathize. Where I work, part of my job at the fitting rooms is answering phones. During holiday weekends especially, you wouldn't imagine how many calls I get from customers who left stuff behind.

One customer thought she was special because someone didn't "automatically know" that her eggs weren't in the bag. I tried to explain to her that it was very busy and that the cashier was probably just trying to take care of her as quickly as possible and move on to the next customer, but no. The customer was totally inconvenienced and she didn't have time to come back to the store with the receipt to get another thing of eggs but she sure was going to make time to come back to the store, with her receipt, and get her money back.

And I'm sure my store expects cashiers to be just as superhuman, which is why you couldn't pay me enough to be a cashier again if my only other option was prostitution in the streets of pre-Revolution France.
        Don't waste time trying to convince someone that the sky is blue.

Comment

I HATED cashiering. I really don't mind retail. It's the getting stuck up front that I mind.
          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Our Kroger still has baggers, so it really shouldn't be a problem. Just hit the subtotal button any time you have to pause. I haven't worked in a grocery store in 22 years, but before I left, we were required to do 30 ipm. My average was consistently in the mid 40's and the scanners were a lot slower back then. I was the FEM and had to keep track of averages and only ever had to bump one cashier back to bagging for not hitting her mark.

I despise self checkouts because they are dependent on the scales under the bag stand to make sure you aren't stealing and it makes the process go so freakin slow.

Comment

Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
              Reading down this column with those two coming up one after the other makes for a very different picture at the till....
              Ya mean, something like this...?
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth snugglegirl05 View Post
                So exactly how do you do 2 handed scanning?
                Well, it's a bit like riding a bicycle. If you're lucky, you have a second belt behind you to the bagging area. So, you only have to drag items from the first belt, to the scanner, then drop them on the 2nd belt.

Always be watching for the location of UPC codes as you touch an item. The code should be opposite your right palm or directly next to your left pinky finger, but not covered, obviously.

Your body should remain facing forward - don't twist at the waist unless needed - all of the movement will be in your arms.

Reach with left hand, grab first item, pull back to scanner - pinky finger parallel codes are easiest here, since there is no need to twist/flick your wrist to get the laser to read it.

As the item is over the scanner, your right hand should be reaching for the next item on the first belt.

Your hands now continue past your body at the same speed - left hand is dropping an item on the second belt as the right hand scans an item - the UPC opposite the palm means you likely do no not have to twist/flick your wrist to get it to scan.

Now, you get the crossover - your left hand needs to back to the first belt for another item, as the right hand drops the second item on the second belt. This is sometimes the hardest part. You have to remember to lift your left arm high enough that the right hand passes under.

As you get going on this, it becomes like riding a bike - don't think, just do. You learn to let momentum do the work - by the time an item is up to speed across the scanner, you can basically let go of it and it will continue onto the 2nd belt with no further effort on your part.

Canned vegetables are just about the best for practicing this method - they fit nicely in one hand, are easy to orient for code location, and most of the UPC codes are opposite the side with the picture, so you can tell at a glance what part of the can needs to face the laser.

Like any skill, it takes time to learn.

Comment

When I worked for King Soopers I cheated I only used the scan gun except when it came to produce and bulk.

Comment

Quoth Christmas Is Coming View Post
                    When I worked for King Soopers I cheated I only used the scan gun except when it came to produce and bulk.
                    So jealous. I worked retail before the guns existed. But yeah, I could have had the gun in my off hand and been all like 'Pew pew pew!' while shoving stuff onto the back belt with my other hand.

Almost makes me want to go back to retail work.

NOT!

Comment

Working...
                    X