Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I love my job, I really do. I promise...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I love my job, I really do. I promise...

So, yes, I do love my job. I don't like all the people I work with, but I love my job.

The only thing is the work pace. I have months of being bored out of my mind, followed by months of running my butt off.

Like right now, for example. Since May, I've had very little to do. Now, oh boyo.

I have to set up about 50 new computers into offices. Then probably move the 50 that I replace into different offices. Maybe another round after that.

I have to get all the new faculty and staff member network accounts created. I have to figure out how to use the new voicemail system and how to teach others how to use it.

I have to get the new students who are on campus for a summer program set up and online, and keep them there. I have to go back to those 100+ computers I set up and help the idjits install software they didn't realize they needed installed onto their new machines.

And, by the way, all this needed to be be done like.. yesterday.

"No, Mr. Bossman, I'm sorry, but I don't have the time to spend hours on the phone waiting for HP tech support to troubleshoot a problem that makes no sense. I also don't have time to call Dell to have them send us a new Floppy drive."

No one seems to be able to decide what's most important. I start doing one thing for morning boss, and afternoon boss starts crabbing about getting new computers set up. I start setting up new computers, and morning boss starts crabbing about the voicemail guide. I go back to voicemail guide, and before afternoon boss can start crabbing again, the dept head asks why the CFO hasn't been transferred over to the new voicemail system yet... which I need to finish the guide to the voicemail before I can move him over.

So, I'm finally now in the editing stages of the guide. When that's finished, I start walking people through using it and getting them transferred over. Once the new computer moves are done, the students will be back, and I'll be buried under Laptop Mountian, getting the kiddies set up.

One thing I'm going to make sure of, if the student access server goes down this fall :: knock on wood :: I'm going to rearrange my schedule so I come in in the afternoon, and work till late evening. There's no point in being here in the morning when I can only do a bulk of my work at night. May I cry now?

Jenni
    SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
    SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

i know the feeling - i thought i worked hard, till i got my new job. yesterday i was on set for over 18 hours, just to get scenes done out to editing, and before when i was in retail it was 12 hour days max. than the canarys (late script changes, called canarys because they are on bright yellow paper to alert us) that i need to learn, sometimes minutes before a scene. still i love it.

Comment

I forced free time today. I have soo much paper on my desk that one spare spark, and the office would be burning into next year. It's pretty bad when the paper gets in way of the monitors...

Jenni
      SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
      SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

Working...
      X