This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• attempted to quit my job today

Took in my letter of resignation to my store manager this morning.

Get a text from my opperations manager to come talk to her this afternoon. Come in to be told she's not accepting my resignation.

I did apply for a indefinite leave of absence. If the owner doesn't approve the leave than the ops manager will accept my resignation then.

You have given notice the fact they chose to ignore that isn't your problem.

Comment

Agreed. If you're leaving, they can't stop you.
      Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
      OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
      she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
      Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Uhm it is not about 'accepting' or not accepting your resignation.
        You have given notice that you will depart the company you work for within x number of weeks.

X being the number of weeks contractually agreed between you and your employer at inception of your contract.

After this you are free to walk out and tell them to perform an anatomic impossibility.

Comment

they cannot reject someone's resignation. Hence why it's a notice, and not a request. ( to put it another way: you cannot reject a notice of termination- same principle.

In short, they are out of line.

Comment

The only people who cannot submit a resignation are slaves. To the best of my knowledge, New Zealand does not allow slavery. Therefore, as so many intelligent people before me have pointed out, they can refuse all they like. You have given proper notice, and are not required to work past the date you gave. If they fail to plan for it, that is their problem. NOT YOURS. Do not allow yourself to be tricked into doing what they want.
            If you doubt this, just contact the local equivalent of a labor board in your area.

Comment

Echoing what everyone else has said-- they cannot not accept your resignation.

If employers had the choice to reject resignations like that, then everyone would be stuck in their jobs until the employers decide to fire them.

Rescind that "indefinite leave of absence" you submitted and gently but firmly remind them that you are resigning, effective on [X] date.
              PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Why are they doing this? Will someone loose a bonus if you leave or something like that?

Comment

It's likely they don't want to go through the hassle of losing a trained employee, or someone who is "vetted" for a certain procedure. Doesn't matter, that's their problem not the OPs.
                  If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

They don't want to losse me as parr of the team. But they understand I need some time to get better emotionally (current bet 3 months). And this is less hassle then terminating me to than rehire if I want to come back.

To be honest the leave of absence works better cause I get to keep my sick days if I do end up coming back.

Comment

I don't understand why employers won't allow leaves of absence any more.

It used to be that at the swamp, if you were a college student attending school out of town, you could go on a leave of absence, and then come back to work whenever you had a decent amount of time at home-- Thanksgiving, Christmas, spring break, summer.

Now that isn't possible. You now have to quit, and if you want to come back to work on your breaks from school you have to reapply and you get the standard wage for new hires, not what you had gotten yourself up to before you left.

Actually, I think I just answered my own question there.
                      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Same at my work, Irv.

My work also used to be very flexible with college people as well, meaning you could make swing shifts for yourself, and then be full time and do required overtime when you were on holiday or summer.

Now it's basically well, if you can't fit school into it, tough shit. Although you can go part time, but then you lose your benefits.
                        You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth Teskeria View Post
                          The only people who cannot submit a resignation are slaves.
                          And prisoners. Just sayin'.
                          Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
                          OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
                          she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
                          Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

I was curious myself as to how an employer could "refuse to accept" a resignation (chain the employee to their desk?). However, I see that the OP is willing to accept their rejection (huh??? ) in return for a leave of absence. I'm wondering if the OP asked for a leave of absence initially, got told "Nope" and then went, "Fine, then here's my resignation," thus causing management to do a quick tapdance in reverse. If so ... hurrah, OP!!

Comment

I'm not really sure they can reject it. But thats what she told me. I guess if I had still wanted to quit they couldn't acutally take any money for not giving notice as I had.

I hadn't asked for a leave of absence as they are normally not paid and you have to give a return date. When I talked those issues over my ops manager said those decision are at the franchises discretion.

Comment

Working...
                              X