Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This is why I keep my stuff in the warehouse...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is why I keep my stuff in the warehouse...

The other day, two people walked into the store's locker room and stole a few purses and other things

The locker room is in a service corridor that opens to the lower-level coffee bar. That door should be access-carded and the locker room is, but none of our cards actually work so the locker room door is propped open (the one time someone let it close, everyone was locked out for almost an hour). The thieves got into the store from the mall before we opened and booked it down to the locker room...they had to have been scoping things out to know where the lockers were. AFAIK they didn't actually pick any locks, many people just throw their crap in an empty locker and don't bother to actually lock it. It's in the employee handbook that the store is not responsible if they don't take precautions to lock up their stuff.

This is the second time it's happened (probably the same people). I wonder if this will prompt them to get the access pad and cards fixed, but probably not. The warehouse has more lockers than staff right now so K is fine with a few of us keeping our stuff up there.
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
    I wonder if this will prompt them to get the access pad and cards fixed
    Of course not. It is the employee's fault for not locking the locker.

*sigh*

With that kind of thinking, you will never make management. </sarcasm>
    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
    Save the Ales!
    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

I feel bad for those who got their stuff stolen. It’s ridiculous that they can’t fix a simple security thing.

Comment

Yup. I'm puzzled as to why people can't just keep their important stuff with them. I'll see whole purses in unlocked lockers, and it's not surprising that it happened as before this we've caught random people cutting through the store to "get to [street]"...uh, no. If you got into the mall, you are ON [street]. They were probably scouting out the locker room.

(the guards at the mall entrance probably need to start asking for our IDs again. I'll ask my pal the head security guy what he thinks about the whole thing)

Comment

First of all they should fix the security issue, not just leave the door propped open! Secondly the employees SHOULD BE locking up valuable things like purses. What were they thinking? I'm sure a padlock and a key around the neck wouldn't be difficult.
          https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
          Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

I think the prevailing theory for a lot of people is "camera in locker room=someone is always watching [out for] MY stuff". That or a combination is too hard and making a keyed lock distinctive/remembering a locker number is too much work
            Last edited by Dreamstalker; 03-23-2018, 02:58 AM.

Comment

Okay yes, employees need to lock up their stuff. BUT, this was the SECOND time it has happened, from an outside theft spree? At some point the store needs to become liable if they can't be bother do take basic steps to protect their employees' possessions.
              A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Agreed. ALL the access-carded doors need to be active (presently the only one that works is the server closet, which is coded to accept only IT badges). The office one is disabled (always unlocked) and the locker room one does "work" as intended, but nobody's card actually opens it.

I am going to ask our new GM about this. The thing I don't know is, did we install the access system, or is it under the mall's purview (part of the old space)?

Comment

I mean, theft is one thing, I am sure they'll deflect blame to the employees(arguably with a point) who didn't lock up their stuff.

However, this is leaving them open for the potential for much worse. If someone can get in to steal, someone can get in to commit other crimes. Assault, etc...

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
                    many people just throw their crap in an empty locker and don't bother to actually lock it.
                    My job has a fitness center on location, and I used to just throw my stuff in an unlocked locker. I stopped doing that after someone stole my cash out of my wallet while I was working out. I had a pretty good idea of who did it, but I couldn't prove anything. After that, I bought a padlock and started using it.

At least in my case, access to the building is card-controlled, so someone couldn't just walk in off the street and start stealing stuff. But apparently you can't trust anyone anymore.
                    Sometimes life is altered.
                    Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                    Uneasy with confrontation.
                    Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

I always lock up my stuff at the YMCA. Sure most people are nice but it only takes one. I use a combination lock so I don’t have to carry a key. But I still believe the store should make sure the room locks and the key cards work.

Comment

I had a job for Christmas a few years ago where there were more employees than lockers so people had to share. I tried the first day to use the locker and that was it. From then on I just kept what I absolutely needed in my pockets and the rest in my car. Where I work now we have lockers for everyone and even then we've been told to keep the locker locked at all times. The fronts are clear so I can see what keep people keep and there's nothing I want.
                        I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

I always keep my important stuff with me (gotta love tactical pants); not only do I know for sure where everything is, but in the hopefully-unlikely event of an evacuation I have a way to call and get home. Keeping my stuff in the warehouse also saves me a good five minutes (or more: on weekends the crowds downstairs can be massive) so I stay ahead of the worst of the the rush-hour mosh pit that is my commute home.

Comment

Working...
                          X