No announcement yet.

The Coronavirus Panic Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As I mentioned previously, the mask mandate is going to be dropped at the end of June, but some places already stopped requiring them for people who are fully vaccinated. The supermarket where we shop is one of them, so I went shopping without a mask for the first time in over a year, and it was quite liberating. I know some people think it's too soon, and I understand that. But to be fair, as much as I hate wearing a mask, if I wasn't fully vaccinated I'd put on the mask, and not lie about it like some people are surely doing. And I still mask up in the places that still require it. It's all about respecting the wishes of the people running the business.

Apparently they're getting ready to bring us back into the office, since the governor announced a date for the end of the masks. I really don't want to go back, but I knew it was going to happen sooner or later. But when we do go back, they're taking away one of our work from home days, because fuck us I suppose. We had three before the pandemic, now we're only going to have two. Once again, the powers that be take things away and then wonder why morale is in the shitter. Now I almost wish I had taken early retirement when it was offered. I qualified, but I still have several years before the house is paid off, and I just bought a new car. Otherwise I would have considered it. I only have about three and a half years until I can fully retire, and then I'm going to have some things to say at the exit interview. I'm sure it will all fall on deaf ears, but it will feel good to get it all out.

I went in to use the fitness center earlier, and they had already taken down the signs about occupancy limits, and I think the one-way stairways are no longer in effect. They kind of jumped the gun, since those particular restrictions weren't set to be lifted until Monday, and it was a couple hours before midnight when I went in. Hopefully they don't try to cram 20 of us into a meeting room meant for 10 again, because I damn near had a panic attack last time they pulled that. I'm also hoping that they don't require masks when we come back, and from what I've seen they probably won't. They've been going along with what the governor said every step of the way. They want us to start coming in one day a week starting in July, two starting in August, and three after that.

While things still aren't quite back to normal, they're a lot better than they were a year ago. when I went in for groceries, toilet paper, hand sanitizer, wipes, rubbing alcohol, etc, were pentiful, even the brand names. In fact, a few weeks ago, they were giving away packs of the off-brand wipes that were the only thing that might be available not all that long ago. And while some of my drinking establishments are still requiring masks, at least they're open unlike a year ago. Oh, and the local burrito place is already talking about reopening for dine-in. I thought they'd be the last holdout, since they didn't reopen until last August, and even then it was only for online orders at their pickup window.
    Sometimes life is altered.
    Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
    Uneasy with confrontation.
    Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

• Even once we can get rid of the masks, I'm in favor of keeping the plexiglass to cut down on transmission of colds and such. Other employee safety concerns mentioned make sense too.
      "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

• Another vote for keeping the plexiglass dividers, here -- even if for no other purpose than as ersatz sneeze guards, whether it's at restaurants or not. Some customers are disgusting.
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

• I'm down with keeping the dividers in place, at least for a while as the pandemic winds down. As long as I don't have to be imprisoned behind a mask for five or six hours a day at work, I can deal with those.

Comment

• Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
            I'm down with keeping the dividers in place, at least for a while as the pandemic winds down. As long as I don't have to be imprisoned behind a mask for five or six hours a day at work, I can deal with those.
            It's going to be pushing 100 here later this week and this weekend. My heart breaks for anyone who has to work in those conditions, and to have to wear those things in those conditions. It literally could kill people in those conditions.
            "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

• Quoth MadMike View Post
              As I mentioned previously, the mask mandate is going to be dropped at the end of June, but some places already stopped requiring them for people who are fully vaccinated. The supermarket where we shop is one of them, so I went shopping without a mask for the first time in over a year, and it was quite liberating. I know some people think it's too soon, and I understand that. But to be fair, as much as I hate wearing a mask, if I wasn't fully vaccinated I'd put on the mask, and not lie about it like some people are surely doing. And I still mask up in the places that still require it. It's all about respecting the wishes of the people running the business.
              This is what I'm going to do once I get the second dose and wait the time afterwards to be fully vaccinated. I'll still wear it in places that require it, but I'll go maskless once everything is said and done. I hate wearing one, especially now that the temps are going up, yet I'll still wear one if it's still mandatory.

My work has the option for those who are fully vaccinated to go without masks so long as there is proof the employees got it done and have waited the time afterwards. I'm still uncertain if, after I get the second dose and wait the two weeks afterward, if I'll go completely maskless at work. I'll definitely show that I got it done, but I'll probably wait a while after that before I keep the mask off. Will see.
              Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

• As I mentioned, masks are now optional at the Store for employees who've been fully vaccinated. I took a phone call the other day from a customer who was concerned that the deli clerk wasn't wearing one.

Not because of covid, though - she assumed that the deli clerk had a medical condition that prevented her from wearing a mask and it wasn't fair for us to make her work in the hot kitchen when she's that sick.

I explained the new policy to her and she was reassured. I told said deli clerk about it later and she cracked up laughing, then said she might just start wearing her mask again anyway if that's how people are going to react.

Comment

• Quoth Victory Sabre View Post
                  It's going to be pushing 100 here later this week and this weekend. My heart breaks for anyone who has to work in those conditions, and to have to wear those things in those conditions. It literally could kill people in those conditions.
                  Ummm, not really. July last year, I started walking the hot Arizona streets as a Census enumerator. I had to be masked and had to work between 8am and 6pm. Once summer kicks in, it doesn't cool down much, so it was usually around 90 when I started and over 110 in the afternoon. It sucked, but no enumerators died or were permanently harmed during the process. (we did bitch a lot, though)

Comment

• Quoth Smapti View Post
                    she assumed that the deli clerk had a medical condition that prevented her from wearing a mask and it wasn't fair for us to make her work in the hot kitchen when she's that sick.
                    It sounds to me like this customer believes that a worker being sick is considered a valid reason for them to stay home if they're still capable of walking around (at most service/retail jobs). >_>

Bless her heart. To be fair, though, the fact that she actually had some concern for the worker and expressed it aloud is a point in her favor.
                    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

• Quoth EricKei View Post
                      ... had some concern for the worker ...
                      That's a croc. Heart of croc to be exact.
                      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

• I want to live,
                        I want to give.
                        I've been a miner
                        For a heart of croc...

Comment

• I mentioned a bar that required you to have your mask on anytime your ass wasn't in a seat, and it was actually enforced to the point where the bartender would actually come out behind the bar to say something to you if didn't. Well, I went there the other night, mask in hand, and there was a sign on the door saying you didn't need it if you were fully vaccinated. So with a smile I stuffed my mask into my pocket and walked in. They also removed the plastic barriers they had on the bar like cattle chutes, which was nice because I felt a little claustrophobic if I was sitting at the bar.

At this point, I'll still wear the mask if the place requires it (even if they're not enforcing it), but if not, then I'll go without. My state has been erring on the side of caution, if anything, so if they think it's safe to loosen things up I'm fairly confident. And another thing that leads me to believe things are going to be OK now is the fact that I'm cautiously optimistic but not quite letting my guard down yet. Last year when we went into the "green" phase and things started slowly opening back up, I told myself that everything would be back to normal soon. Big mistake apparently, because by the end up the year the counts were higher than ever, and things were shutting down again.

We're closer to normal than we've ever been since this mess started, but we're still not quite there. There are still some little things, like restaurants (not bars) still requiring masks. Also, most of the businesses other than convenience stores that were previously open 24/7 still haven't resumed normal hours. And drinking fountains and self-serve bulk food operations are still on hold. The local Sheetz store finally reopened their soft-serve ice cream machines, but they haven't brought back the toppings yet, which seems kind of pointless. One thing I loved doing was loading it up with a bunch of toppings.

Comment

• I'm on the fence about the vaccine so I still mask everywhere, even if there's no signage requiring it. In restaurants, of course, it's off if I'm eating. We can go back to the office if we want on 7/12. I won't. Mask required if you don't submit to HR that you're vaccinated. I was thinking about going in 2 days a week because the mask thing actually didn't occur to me. Duh; I've been wearing one for a year but I didn't think they'd be required at work? I like working from home but I'd like to get out of here when my brother is home because he's loud. I am OK with masking for a couple of hours with breaks (leaving one store and going to the next), but 8 hours in a cubicle? That's hard with allergies already making it hard to breathe. I'd do it if I absolutely had to but if I can stay home, why not?
                            "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

• I've been fully vaxxed for ~2 months now, but generally continue masking outside because of pollen, ozone and all that fun stuff...also because there's no way to know who's 'immune' and who isn't. If I'm unmaksed outside, I will pop my mask back up if I see someone coming just to be polite I've gotten strange looks when both masked and unmasked...so which am I 'supposed' to be? Screw it, if a mask helps me not feel like shit during pollen season and crappy air quality I'm keeping it.
                              "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                              "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

• We longer have to wear masks when we're volunteering with the kitties. At this point, about the only places still requiring masks is restaurants. I'm sure doctor's offices still do as well, but I haven't had to go to one lately.

Comment

Working...
                                X