This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phishy Phacebook Email

My bank has a long-standing anti-social-media policy. They have decided NOT to have a social media presence and resist any attempts to have their collective mind changed.

So I was surprised and a little bemused to receive an email purporting to be from Facebook claiming that my bank has invited me to follow them on Facebook. Complete with links, including an unsubscribe link. All the links (when I hover over them) go someplace besides face book dot com. It even has fb's and my bank's logos in the email.

Pretty sophisticated little phishing email.
    "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
    -Mira Furlan

Not all that sophisticated, and not new either. I got one from "my bank" around a decade ago, very similar (although nothing to do with FB).
    Last edited by Deserted; 08-17-2020, 07:42 PM. Reason: smiley derp
    Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
    OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
    she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
    Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

That's a pretty big leap of logic on their part to assume you like your bank.

Comment

Right. Possibly understatement, but I'm certainly not invested enough in my workplace to have it spill into my personal life, including social media.
        "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
        -Mira Furlan

Comment

And anyway, I'm to paranoid to friend my insurance or bank. You never know when they are going to use the information against you.

Comment

I almost miss the days before we had really good spam filters. I used to get emails from banks I'd never even heard of (and which might not have even existed) telling me my account had been hacked and I needed to contact them NOW.

Even better were the emails telling me I had some extra money coming to me in honour of my service with the U.S. military.

I'm Canadian.
            Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
            ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Our IT guy sent out a company-wide email today, explaining that the bank had hired an auditing firm to send out fake spam emails purporting to be from FB, Amazon, and the company we use for secure email. They sent out 100 emails to 70 employees and had a 9% click-through rate.

The upshot? Be more careful, and don't click on links in suspicious emails. Duh!

I bet IT guy was amused when I emailed him about the spam email that my coworkers and I were getting.
              -Mira Furlan

Comment

Quoth Ghel View Post
                Our IT guy sent out a company-wide email today, explaining that the bank had hired an auditing firm to send out fake spam emails purporting to be from FB, Amazon, and the company we use for secure email.
                We have the same thing where I work, although it's more general. (Earlier this year, one purported sender was the county health department.) Also, they recently pushed out an Outlook add-on that handles reporting phishing emails to IT.
                That add-on might be from the same testing company. It certainly recognizes those emails and congratulates anyone who reports one that way.

Comment

I was thinking it might be a test - I watch videos of guys who do that stuff for a living speaking at conferences for such people.

My absolute favorite was the guys who got permission to send targeting emails (they call it "spear phishing", because you know who you're phishing and not just casting a wide net) to seven people of their choice.

"Five of them clicked the link, including the guy who hired us."

Comment

It's kind of funny because I'm pretty sure Ted got hit with actual malware from an email attachment about two weeks ago. He send a company-wide email not to open any attachments from such-and-such customer and contact the IT Guy if you already opened one.
                    -Mira Furlan

Comment

Quoth Argus View Post
                      We have the same thing where I work, although it's more general.
                      They do the same thing at my job as well. Most of them are so ridiculous that I can't believe some people actually fall for them.
                      Sometimes life is altered.
                      Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                      Uneasy with confrontation.
                      Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Mike -- If people are still falling for them, that suggests to me that they're not ridiculous enough.
                        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
                        X