This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coworker question

This has just happened and I'm rather confused about it, and I wouldn't mind having a little input.

One of our reporters is "A". He sits all the way across the newsroom from me and we don't know each other really well, but he's an all right guy and he's always been nice to me.

I got a call from a lady downstairs, the receptionist. She whispered something to me about a collection being taken. I had no idea what she was talking about, but eventually, she mentioned that she had heard word-of-mouth that a collection was being taken for A's LIVER TRANSPLANT.

I hadn't known a thing about it...no one's been acting any differently up here, least of all A, and when I told the receptionist I had no idea what she was talking about, she said okay, and told me not to say anything to anyone.

So now I don't know what to do. I don't know if A's really needing a liver transplant, or if it's just some bizarre rumor...and most of all, I don't know whether I should talk to anyone about it or not. That's something I would think the editors would need to know since we're already short on reporters, but it's very much not my place to say it. I know I'm pretty much the "kid" in the newspaper and I almost feel like I'd be telling my parents about a kid in my class who's drinking behind the bus barn...and I don't know if they already know or not.

Basically...what should I do now?
    "Maybe the problem just went away...maybe it was the magical sniper fairy that comes and gives silenced hollow point rounds to people who don't eat their vegetables."

Hmmm...

Well, first of all I'd go with your instinct that you shouldn't be the one to notify the editors. Regardless of whose "place" it is, it's just generally not a good idea for a third party to break news like that.

And as for the liver transplant...anyone who knows more about this, please jump all over me, but I've always been under the impression that a person sick enough to require a transplant would be quite sick, certainly too sick to turn up for work on a daily basis.

Sounds like your best bet is just to sit back and watch the show, really.

- Puck, the Giver of Sucky and Often Pointless Advice
    Not all who wander are lost.

Comment

Everyone knows how office gossip changes every 3rd ear it lands on. Probably started as something simple like bruise liver.

I would ask him, if it bothers you much.
      I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

I would make a point to ask him how he's feeling. He may very well tell you he's fine, and maybe offer a little more insight. It sounds like a standard office rumor, but who knows? Also, remember that people have done scams like that. There was something in the news a while back where some woman told everyone she had cancer and she got like thousands of dollars in donations, which she promptly used for a tropical vacation.....

Comment

Working...
        X