This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YOU again.

So I was babysitting SCO last night (not much has changed, except some of them are failing in new and interesting ways) and who do I see at one of them but a familiar scamming face. The guy who used to have a "diabetic service dog" and used the dog to curry favor with employees and run coupon scams. When he had the dog it looked badly neglected. He no longer has the dog (before I left, a fellow customer was going to drop a dime to relevant authorities about the dog and SC's fake service animal papers, I hope she did).

I don't think SC recognized me. I got summoned over because he had scanned a dollar-off coupon that we attach to markdown prepacked produce; that coupon just requires a human to verify that it was removed from an item in the order.

SC: Oh hi. I have a coupon, [item] is $2.50 but it's a dollar off so it's $1.50, I don't know why it called you over." He proceeded to try and confuse me using "industry" phrasing that a regular customer wouldn't know (hmm, thanks for confirming my suspicions and what you just said makes no sense anyway). He has his mask down under his mouth so I'm staying as far away as I realistically can.

I verify the item and let the system accept the coupon.

SC: "Okay so I get $1.50 off then."
    Me: *I see what you did there* "The coupon went through, you're all set." *goes back to cleaning the vacant SCO registers*

SC pays and goes up to the service desk, attempting to argue that the coupon that was showing for a dollar off should actually be $1.50 off...dude, do you really think that we don't know what our coupons should look like? (since it had been peeled off and only the barcode remained, SC probably thought he could tell someone it was "wrong" and they would fix it). I didn't see the denouement, but he packed his crap and left pretty quickly.
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

How sad, so sad. All that effort for 50 cents. One half of dollar. 0,34 Euro.

<shakes head sadly>
    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Consumers have gone further for far less money.
      Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

I have a friend who volunteers at a food bank. He has told me several stories of people lying to them to get more food. This really makes him angry because had they only asked, they would have gotten more food without issue. Now he and his co-volunteers will only remember those people as scammers and they might have lost out on any free food for a very long time.

Some people just don't have a clue.

Comment

I figure once a scammer. always a scammer. Some of them have gotten bolder due to Covid; they probably figure that we can't approach them close enough to see what they're trying to do.

The other day I caught a mother-daughter pair stacking pricey items on top of boxes of ramen (after scanning only the ramen) and sending them down; the only reason this works now is because the weight sensors have been destroyed from years of people hucking cases of water on the belts....and this was on the register that I had the clearest view of. Once I was able to catch them and re-ring everything, the second time the daughter bagged and left with everything--leaving the mother to pay--while I was occupied with another lane. In that case I wasn't able to actually do anything as payment had already gone through and the items had left the building. I did let CDH know with a description of the two, hopefully he spread the word.
          Last edited by Dreamstalker; 11-14-2020, 12:56 AM.
          "I am quite confident that I do exist."
          "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Gee thanks-when I read the title,this popped back into my brain again
            The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Totally off topic, but I listened to the song and my 'merican ears didn't understand it as "English". Even after I read the words, my ears still didn't hear words. Really weird because I grok Spanish, Japanese, Southern USA and Boston.

The printed words made sense and the music was good, so thanks for that interesting interlude.

Comment

It's Strine. That's why it doesn't register as English
                The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

It's not even that bad... I understood it for the most part, though I didn't listen all the way through it.
                  “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                  One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                  The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Working...
                  X