This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's not false advertising when you misread the ad

A customer came through my line with a bag of coffee among her purchases.

SC: "It's supposed to be $X.XX"

I ring it up. It's a LOT more than $X.XX.

Me: "Uh, I'm sorry, ma'am, but that's not what it's coming up as."

(I had also scanned her rewards card; sometimes you don't get the 'special' price unless you've got the points card. It didn't change anything.)

SC: "Oh no! It's $X.XX! Wait, I'll go take a photo of the ad!" By which she meant the ad hanging on the shelf, of course. Thank goodness for cellphones ... maybe ...

Back she comes and I look at the photo. A shift supervisor has also come over.

Me (to shift supervisor): "She was wondering about the price of this coffee, but the ad says it's not this particular type of [Brand] coffee; it's two or three other types." All under the same brand name, just ... not every coffee under that brand name.

Shift supervisor agrees and explains it to the woman.

SC: "Oh no, that can't be right! It says [Brand] coffee!"

Shift supervisor goes over it again.

SC: "Well, that's false advertising! You need to send somebody back there to take that ad down!"

Me:

Shift supervisor: "Yes, ma'am, I'll see to it."

Me (after customer leaves): "It's not false advertising; it's an idiot customer who can't read the damn ad."

Shift supervisor: "Yeah, I know, but I wasn't gonna stand here and argue with her."

It'll be interesting if she comes back in while that ad is still up ....
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Reading

I drove a friend to go shopping, as we pulled up to the store she read the for-sale sign posted in the front of the store. However, what she said it said was wrong and I pointed out she did not read the sign right. Since I could lock the car doors I could prevented her from leaving the car till she read the sign right.

Three times she read it - three times she read it wrong!

Only on the fourth reading did she suddenly realize what it really said.

Her reading, the second item would be free, the real reading the second item was half off.

Comment

Don’t you hate it when they have a brand for sale but only ‘selected varieties/flavors’? Half the problems at the till are all RTFS (read the fucking sign) or else the person doesn’t realize that when you shop ingredients for fancy onlines recipes that it does in fact get expensive.

Service desk is the same. Either RTFS, learn to cook, or actually use things before the best before date. Particularly on items that are known to be iffy sometimes. If I see one more milk jug and SC complaining about how her milk went bad after leaving it on the counter overnight...
      Don’t worry about what I’m up to. Worry about why you are worried about what I’m up to.

Comment

I fell victim to that once recently -- All varieties of Coke and Pepsi were on sale for a good discount; something like $2 for a 6pack of 20oz bottles...EXCEPT for the Coke Zero, the one I actually picked up. Got to my car before I noticed. Tried to get a refund/adjustment, but they were in "no refunds for now due to covid" mode. I asked the Coke vendor dude the next time I saw him, and he had no idea why it was done that way. All he knew was that, at all stores he serviced, it was only CZ that never went on sale.
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Yeah it’s annoying from both sides of the till.
          Don’t worry about what I’m up to. Worry about why you are worried about what I’m up to.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
            I fell victim to that once recently -- All varieties of Coke and Pepsi were on sale for a good discount; something like $2 for a 6pack of 20oz bottles...EXCEPT for the Coke Zero, the one I actually picked up. Got to my car before I noticed. Tried to get a refund/adjustment, but they were in "no refunds for now due to covid" mode. I asked the Coke vendor dude the next time I saw him, and he had no idea why it was done that way. All he knew was that, at all stores he serviced, it was only CZ that never went on sale.
            Stuff like that is why I pay close attention to the screen when products are going through the scanner these days. I've been burned by products unexpectedly 'not being included in a deal' before. My wife has said more than once "Oh don't worry about it, it's only $X", but all those little amounts add up over time.
            Violets are blue,
            Roses are red,
            I bequeath to thee...
            A boot to the head >_>

Comment

Quoth AkaiKitsune View Post
              Yeah it’s annoying from both sides of the till.
              It certainly can be, but in this case, there were clear photos of the packages of coffee that were included in the sale. The package the woman wanted to buy was very clearly not one of them.
              Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
              ~ Mr Hero

Comment

I had a similar experience when I helped out at my friends' thrift store. They had a special where, almost every day, you could get a discount on certain items of clothing. One day, you got a discount on clothing with a yellow tag. Another day, you got a discount on clothing with a red tag. And so on.

One day was a white-tag sale. A woman came in with her daughter and picked out a white shirt. When she brought it to the counter, I told her the price. She kicked up a fuss and said that it was discounted, because this was a "white" day. And then she stood there, looking at me with a smug smile on her face. I think she really came in just to be "right" - put down the hapless worker at the counter.

I got the sign, which stated clearly what the discount meant, and showed it to her. She stood there, slack-jawed, staring at it for a long moment. Then she snapped, "Well, it's written badly!"

Uh, yeah, right.

She didn't buy the shirt, either.

Comment

You know, at times it's quite worth not getting their measly money just to put an SC in their place. The five bucks (at best) they intended to spend at your store simply isn't worth the hell they want to put workers through.
                  Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Glasses

Quoth Eireann View Post
                    I got the sign, which stated clearly what the discount meant, and showed it to her. She stood there, slack-jawed, staring at it for a long moment. Then she snapped, "Well, it's written badly!"
                    I would look at the sign, look at her, look at the sign again and then say:

"I don't think it is the writing, have you had your eyesight checked lately?".

Comment

Working...
                    X