Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The only time I have hundreds on me is when I'm paying my rent.

Comment

Quoth Gravekeeper View Post
      Spending a hundred dollar bill always fills me with horrible guilt even if I just bought 98 dollars worth of stuff.
      If someone's buying at least $70 worth of stuff, I don't have a problem with them using a $100 bill. Though I'd still prefer it sometime later than first thing in the morning, when I have enough money in the till to cover it.
      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
      My LiveJournal
      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I always feel horribly when paying with $100 as I worry the bod on the checkout might notice... this thing is green...and has a funny looking picture on...and a squiggly S instead of a £ sign which we take payment in.
        The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
          I always feel horribly when paying with $100 as I worry the bod on the checkout might notice... this thing is green...and has a funny looking picture on...and a squiggly S instead of a £ sign which we take payment in.
          Not to mention it is only worth .77£, which is a bargain for you if they do take it.
          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

I don't mind coins. I will buy coins if you bring them in. I did a about face at the bank when I heard a guy that just walked in say he had coins for deposit.
            Last edited by Dave in MD; 11-02-2020, 09:16 AM.

Comment

A few days ago, one of the cashiers got one of the old-design 100's. It failed the electronic counterfeit-tester gizmo, and of course we don't have the tester pens as too many people thought they were regular markers (I have a fancy pen with a blacklight, but that doesn't leave my physical possession).

He actually polled us older employees and the store manager as to whether it was real
              "I am quite confident that I do exist."
              "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
                A few days ago, one of the cashiers got one of the old-design 100's. It failed the electronic counterfeit-tester gizmo, and of course we don't have the tester pens as too many people thought they were regular markers (I have a fancy pen with a blacklight, but that doesn't leave my physical possession).

He actually polled us older employees and the store manager as to whether it was real
                All U.S. currency issued since 1861 is valid and redeemable at its full face value.

Of course the older bills are worth much more than their face value on the collectible market.
                "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Somewhere I have a few old bills (5s and 10s). My manager previously would let me buy them (and any genuine silver coins I came across) out of the drawer at face value. I should ask the current CDH if I could start doing that again...it would certainly lessen the headaches for them.
                  "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                  "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Just remembered one delivery when I used to deliver pizza. A long damn run out to the edge of the cheap delivery area, for the SMALLEST possible order to get delivered, and the kid... just HAD to have raided someone's collection of silver. $6 order, all loose coin, and about half of it was in silver. The kid may have stiffed me for a tip, and on paper, I lost money just on gasoline, but... that's a lotta damn silver. I eventually traded that in for cash at 20-to-1 rates.

Comment

A friend of mine used to manage an Aladdin's Castle video game arcade, back when those were a thing. She remembered one time a kid came in with a bunch of coins, all in the little cardboard coin envelopes. He'd tear the envelope open, plonk the quarter into a machine, and play.

Envelopes like this:

It was obvious the kid had raided someone's coin collection, but there wasn't a lot she could do about it at the time. IIRC, a parent stopped by to collect the kid and she warned them what the kid had been doing.
                      Last edited by Nunavut Pants; 11-02-2020, 06:15 AM.
                      “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                      One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                      The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

I've refused to take $100 bills first thing in the morning. I'll ask people if they have anything smaller and the say no while holding their money roll that I can see has smaller bills.

Comment

Dave - That has almost always been my experience, as well. They're being assholes, but I'd appreciate them at least giving our intelligence SOME credit by being honest about it.
                          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

When I was a waitress I lived in a small trailer with a monthly rent of $150. I usually went to the bank and deposited my tips and wrote a check for the rent, but one month I didn't have time to go to the bank. I had the rent in cash - but it was in $1 bills, $5 bills, a couple of larger bills, and $40 in quarters, so I asked the manager if she minded if I paid my rent that way. If she didn't want all that I could run to the bank, but she told me, "Oh, I could use all those quarters for the laundromat!" So, I gave her the cash and she gave me a receipt for it.

Comment

A few years ago, I made a small purchase from an office supply store in cash, and the cashier started to apologize for running out of $1 bills and having to give me a dollar or two in quarters. I stopped him to say that I live in an apartment and the laundry machines there only took quarters, so that meant some additional time before I would next need to hit a change machine.

Comment

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
                                It was obvious the kid had raided someone's coin collection, but there wasn't a lot she could do about it at the time. IIRC, a parent stopped by to collect the kid and she warned them what the kid had been doing.
                                One of the rare perks of being a cashier is buying the weird stuff that passes through my drawer.
                                I remember one night where a family came in and each kid came up to the register and paid in bicentennial quarters and half-dollars. When Dad came to the register, I quietly said that someone might have gotten into a coin collection, and he said "No, I gave them to them and they insisted on spending them."

I have gotten a 1948 half-dollar.
                                I have gotten a $10 bill from 1963 in shockingly good condition.
                                I have gotten 12 uncirculated 1976 $2 bills.
                                I have gotten a $2 bill from 1963
                                I have gotten a $2 bill from 1928.
                                I have gotten a $1 bill from 1957
                                I have gotten a $1 bill from 1935 on two different occasions.

I have had people spend commemorative silver dollars. Painted and unpainted.
                                And I have had someone spend as $5 a commemorative $5 US coin that was 1/10 oz gold. Actually they didn't precisely spend that one: they said "this is five dollars, right?" and I said "I'll give you five dollars for that."
                                Last edited by SpyOne; 11-10-2020, 04:12 PM. Reason: there are no $11 bills. :)

Comment

Working...
                                X