This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cuckoo for..ahhh, just cuckoo

There's a sale on select [manfacturer] cereals this week. Note "select".

SC came through my lane late yesterday with two carts full of cereal. Most of it I could see was on sale, but the boxes aren't even remotely organized; my plan was to scan one however many times, but I had a feeling about this guy so I made him put everything on the belt and organize as best I can while scanning. The total is 6-7 boxes each of 10 different brands. A customer in line behind him asks "Oh are you buying for a school?" SC turns bobblehead for a second and goes "Yeah, yeah, a school". I've dealt with people purchasing for organizations and they're usually happy to engage.

SC finally gives me his store card near the very end, and then pulls almost 3 dozen packs of butter (also on sale) from the bottom of another cart he had lurking someplace. "14 of this, 20 of this!" he barks. I'm now a bit suspicious, so manually count every single one. "On sale! On sale!" He's done this for every item I've scanned, and he's starting to annoy everyone in the area. (you irritate me. No sale for you!) I'm very glad for the acrylic barrier as he seems to want to get right in my face.

The total is apparently $200 over what he thinks it should be. At this point I just want to get the line down, so I print off a duplicate receipt and call a manager (Dw) over to suspend the transaction and take SC to the service desk and get this sorted.

SC refuses to move until we find and remove everything that's not on sale and is getting a little too close; the barrier ends right at the pinpad and he is trying to crane his neck around it to scrutinize the receipt on my side of the checkstand.

Since everything has been bagged at this point and I couldn't scan all the like boxes together, it's a bit of a chore to figure out exactly which cereals he wants to remove...not only that, but our system is messed up in a way that some cereals (most of what he had) scans only as "[manufacturer] cereal [size]" which tells us nothing on the register side.

We find two brands that are not on sale and void those...12 boxes total. SC says there are 18...but we've voided everything that the system will let us (I suspect that he was trying to confuse us into voiding more than we had to and rebagging, so he'd walk out with everything). At this point Dw is able to show him what we've done and that the only option is to go to the desk to sort it out...also the rest of the line is giving him The Look. So SC goes to the desk flanked by Dw and another manager who happened to show up to see the reason for the growing lines.

The rest of the line understood that the delay was in no way my fault...and the next customer threw a candy bar in her order and then insisted I take it after she paid "you look like you need chocolate after that"
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Chocolate is always good.

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
      ...and the next customer threw a candy bar in her order and then insisted I take it after she paid "you look like you need chocolate after that"
      That's so kind of her. I hated dealing with mean customers, but having nice customers afterward helped.
      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
      My LiveJournal
      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Working...
      X