Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So customers have finally gotten sensible?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So customers have finally gotten sensible?

And no longer wait until Dec. 24 to do all their grocery shopping?

I volunteered to work on Boxing Day (double time, ya know! ) and thought "At least I'll get Christmas Eve off; they won't schedule me for both."

Ha.

Yes, they would. And did.

I was scheduled from 2:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.

Me: "Hey, why am I scheduled until 6:30 when we close at 6?"

Coworker: "It'll take at least half an hour to get everybody OUT." Stories abounded about lineups down to the end of the aisles and cranky, impatient customers pissed off at the long wait times.

Me:

Well, as it turned out ... it was Dec. 23 that was the chaotic day (I wasn't scheduled that day). Christmas Eve ... it was steady but by no means crazy. AND the store was empty of customers by 6:10.

Yes, we locked the doors at 6 p.m. People coming up at 5:50 or later were apparently told "If you're only looking for one or two things, please come in, but please, the cashiers want to go home and spend time with their families." I can't confirm that she actually said that to customers, but if she did, it seemed to work. For the most part, people booked it to the aisle(s) they needed, grabbed the item(s) they'd come for, and zoomed through the checkout and back out the doors in record time.

Nobody at all was allowed in after 6 p.m.

So we ended up doing minor chores for nearly half an hour, until we ran out of things to do, after which we stood around and chatted until we could clock out at 6:30.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

This is an anomaly. The general public has all the common sense of the average grapefruit
    My son thinks I'm Lucifer Morningstar. I'm not sure he's wrong.

Comment

Insulting grapefruits again, are we?
      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

I will write a formal apology to the Grapefruit AntiDefamation Society
        My son thinks I'm Lucifer Morningstar. I'm not sure he's wrong.

Comment

The way I snorted when I read the title--

The roads and stores were crazy when I went out today, so maybe the stupid is just migrating to New Years. Yes I live in a college town, but I was out and about before noon, not late at night. The lines at the regular registers at the grocery store were down the aisles, and the one clerk in charge of ALL of the SCOs on that side of the store (I think 12! there are two sets) was running around carding people and taking off the security thing from liquor bottles.
          Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

In California, it is simply not permitted to buy alcohol at self-check. I was at Walmart this evening (got a new cubicle wall calendar and a rotisserie chicken) and observed the employee who handles that area taking a couple of bottles liquor over to her own register with a slightly sheepish-looking customer trailing her. I'm guessing he hadn't known about that rule.
            "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

In my town in New Brunswick, Christmas Eve always tends to be busy early; but by the afternoon it tends to die off.

So if you go in around noon, you'll be in long lines and fighting crowds. But by 2-3 in the afternoon, things seem to be winding down and there are almost no lines, empty parking lots, etc....

Most stores tend to close at 4, 5 or 6 at the latest. (Tim's always closes earlier around 2 or 3; McDs was open till 7 I think)

Comment

I've occasionally gone shopping on Christmas Eve, but that's usually because I tried to get fresh stuff (eggs, milk, cream, etc.) on an earlier date, but the use by is too short to be useful. Otherwise I avoid major shopping frenzy dates like the plague (or shop online, where I'm less likely to have a stress meltdown).
                "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
                  I've occasionally gone shopping on Christmas Eve, but that's usually because I tried to get fresh stuff (eggs, milk, cream, etc.) on an earlier date, but the use by is too short to be useful. Otherwise I avoid major shopping frenzy dates like the plague (or shop online, where I'm less likely to have a stress meltdown).
                  Ditto!

Actually I have already started Christmas gift shopping =) Other than a few odds and ends that catch my attention, or I get a new 'need to shop for' after June, I am pretty much done and wrapped.

I just snagged something like enough joke presents for 45 miltary guys [little girly backpacks, yoyos, puzzles, fidget spinners, playing cards for all sorts of odd games, nerf sports balls [football, soccer, baseball, suitable for kindergardeners] stuff like that. I tend to also just before I send them out in November get small individually wrapped hard candies, single serve instant beverages to add to canteens, individual packeged minivials of eyedrops, adult scent baby wipes, stuff like that - the silly stuff htey can keep or pass out to kids to show they aren't scary, and the otehr more useful stuff for them to use or trade with others. If I see a good buy on paperbacks SF/fantasy/westerns/detective/mystery I will toss in a couple dozen books as well. ]
                  EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Working...
                  X