This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'But nobody TOLD me ...'

COVID is still playing a certain amount of silly buggers at my workplace. We still have tills where cash is not accepted (unless we're really slammed, in which case anything goes ....)

And we still have a shift supervisors who monitor the line, check whether customers are paying with cash or plastic, and direct them to an appropriate till.

Then again, of course, we have customers who either don't realize the line is there, or think they shouldn't have to queue up. Like today. And of course the cashiers can't always tell whether an incoming customer has been sent over by the line monitor, or just wandered up.

I was on a "no-cash" till and I had just finished checking out a customer. She pulls out a handful of bills.

Me: "I'm sorry, I can't take cash at this till."

Customer: *stands holding cash helplessly* "Oh, I didn't know. Nobody told me."

Me: "Do you have a debit or credit card you can use?"

Nope. She's still standing there holding the cash as if she expects me to change my mind. And still saying "Nobody told me!" I called over the shift supervisor, who then called somebody higher up, who suspended the transaction and told the customer she could move to Register #1 (Registers 1, 3 and 5 are always cash-accepting registers) and she could be cashed out there.

Of course, at the moment, the cashier at #1 was dealing with other customers, who HAD been through the lineup.

I later found out that the line monitor had seen Cash Customer wandering towards my till and tried to get her attention to direct her to the line. According to the line monitor, the customer glanced her way and then turned back and actually cut in front of the customer the line monitor had directed to my line. So she ended up having to hang around while Cashier #1 dealt with one or two customers who had priority over her -- because, ya know, they followed the proper procedure.

By the time I found this all out, she had been cashed out and gone. I would've been so tempted to say to her "Next time maybe you could stand in line like everybody else, lady."

And also maybe she could read the damn signs. Every single register has an 8x10 sheet of paper taped to the front of the counter telling customers (in nice large lettering) that cash is, or is not, allowed at that register. She walked right past it to put her groceries on the belt at my till.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

It wouldn't matter WHAT means of delivering the message was. (Even airhorns and flashing neon wouldn't get her attention) She was gonna GET THERE before someone else, and that's all that was important.

Comment

I am glad to see she was penalized (moved to another register and re-rung) rather than rewarded (just take the cash).
      Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
      Save the Ales!
      Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
        (Registers 1, 3 and 5 are always cash-accepting registers) ...
        Ironically, the odd ones
        I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
        -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Yeah I still have customers getting all shocked and appalled that they have to pack their own reusable bags especially since most of them are encrusted with dirt. (Despite dozens of signs saying so including at the front doors) they are still confused over this waiting your turn before putting the groceries on the belt instead of trying to unload at the same time as the person ahead of them (despite a giant sign saying one order per belt and with instruction written and visual as to how this complex system works.

Hell, they can’t even figure out entrance vs exit despite multiple hot pink signs, arrows on the floor, verbal directions, and barriers so they can’t go the wrong way physically. “Oh someone moved the newspaper rack to block that direction, maybe I should follow the neon green dots with big black arrows? No, I’m just gonna move this heavy POS ahhh my grandpa back!”
          Don’t worry about what I’m up to. Worry about why you are worried about what I’m up to.

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
            Nope. She's still standing there holding the cash as if she expects me to change my mind. And still saying "Nobody told me!"
            Keep staring until your shift is up, go home for the day.

Comment

I have two RED stop signs printed on 8 1/2 x 11" paper along with a sign with a arrow saying to follow the arrows on the floor to the left and people still walk past them and just stand behind who ever is at the counter.
              And when told the line is in aisle 6 they walk over to the aisle and then past all the people, aisle is only about 5 feet wide, to get to the end of the line.
              Everyone expresses shock that we are doing things the way we are, as we are forced to do by the Health Department if we want to stay open. They have never seen such a thing. Its all "crazy".

Comment

We rarely get sucky customers.

The stores on our street have all pretty much decided to sink or swim together and follow the guidelines from the CDC and the gubernatorial mandates. Every store has a sign that masks are required. Most of them have a bottle of sanitizer just inside the door. We do, too. We also have a sign that informs people that although we love dogs, they are not allowed in the store.

Today a couple stepped inside, and were told, we're sorry, but dogs aren't allowed in the store. Wife says she'll wait outside. Husband is asked to give his hands a quick sanitize, he started, then turned and said, "I'm leaving too. You made me feel unwelcome." Took another step and said, "So glad you find this amusing" and stormed out.

No one found it amusing. Salesperson isn't from Canada, but *really close* and is unfailingly polite. No idea if it was the sanitizer that set the customer off, or an unnatural connection to his dog.

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
                  I am glad to see she was penalized (moved to another register and re-rung) rather than rewarded (just take the cash).
                  I was not in a cheery mood, LOL, and also, since I suspected she had jumped the line ... tough cookies, lady!

Sometimes I do take the cash if I suspect it's a genuine error. Today I had a guy come up to my till, and I'd seen him come from the opposite direction of the line. I asked if he'd been in the line and he said "She told me to come over here!"

I suspect "she" was the person in charge of the self-checkouts; he was returning empty water jugs (and presumably buying more water) and I don't think you can do that at the self-checkouts. I was annoyed but just assumed it was a genuine error on his part (as in, the self-checkout person DIDN'T tell him "Go to the end of THAT line over THERE"). Also, he wasn't being sucky about it. So I just did the returns and rung him out for more water.

We are becoming (IMO) more and more chaotic by the day, so yeah, I may be a bit more inclined to cut customers some slack at this point.
                  Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                  ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Working...
                  X