Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Things I Wish I Could Say, instant messenger edition. Not that this is anything new...

<10:05:15> hi
    <10:05:22> good morning
    <10:05:29> how r u?
    ...and silence. To which I so want to reply:
    <10:10:00> Frustrated with your reluctance to get to the point, and eternally peeved by the use of txt-speak in a business environment. What specific thing can I help you with?
    Cheap, fast, good. Pick two.
    They want us to read minds, I want read/write.

Comment

Ceir:

your "conversation" is one of the reasons I am SO glad that when I did tech support either internally and/or externally I did not have to use IM. Yes at times it would have been nice but.......
      I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
      -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Had a serious violation of the 2% rule.. got a call from a relative.. their computer would not turn on. So after demanding a nominal fee (sorry, if I did it free.. would never get anything else done.. ever), went over to look. No lie..she was trying to power on her computer by pushing the dvd eject button. Took me 10 seconds to 'fix' her computer..
        Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

J2K: "You'll need to reboot your workstation."
          Them: "Okay, so, log off and log back on?"
          J2K: "No, I said reboot. Select 'restart' from the logoff menu."

Every. Fucking. Time.
          PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

I started telling lusers "restart" instead of "reboot". Fucking Windows.
            Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
            OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
            she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
            Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Why doesn't my new work Windows 10 PC (replaced as part of the push to get everyone off of Windows 7) have a log off option? Whenever IT support asked me to log off so that they could connect up and fix the latest issue from the server migration I had to restart my machine instead.

Seriously, why remove something so convenient and leave sleep as an option (which we've been told never to use as it screws up things behind the scene)?
              "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Click the Windows Logo/Start
                You should have three icons up the side, bottom left. The top one is user info. Hover over it and it should show your name. It should have options to lock and to log out.
                Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                Save the Ales!
                Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
                  Why doesn't my new work Windows 10 PC... have a log off option? ...
                  It does, just hidden from the unwashed masses.

Rot cluck on the WeenieDows hoodickey, and get spiffy menu including 'Shutdown or signoff" which flys out options including sign off.

Unless teh ITDiots have disabled it in their Grope Policies...
                  I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                  Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                  Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
                    Click the Windows Logo/Start
                    You should have three icons up the side, bottom left. The top one is user info. Hover over it and it should show your name. It should have options to lock and to log out.
                    It does, thank you! Why the frilly heck did they stick it in there? What was wrong with having all the exiting options neatly in one place? Or was this another stupid "we don't need no stinkin' start menu!" decision?
                    "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

It does, thank you! Why the frilly heck did they stick it in there? What was wrong with having all the exiting options neatly in one place? Or was this another stupid "we don't need no stinkin' start menu!" decision?
                      I've noticed over the years that Micro... seems to think that the unwashed masses need to be kept out of anyplace that could ever possibly allow someone to screw up anything. Of course, this also means that those of us who know what the heck we're trying to do get locked out of abilities that were really handy.

Comment

OK dumb question since I do not have Win 10 at this time (a bit off into the future when I get a new machine). Does the screen that comes up with Ctrl-Alt-Del in Win 10 not like the one in win 7 ie:

Log out
                        Start Task Manager
                        some other options

and at the bottom right of the screen is a big red button that if you hover over it gives power options? this has saved my behind a few times when things struck at me and I still could C-A-D.
                        I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                        -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Yes. Yes, it does. Admittedly I tend not to use that screen as my previous computer at home used to just automatically reboot the first time you used ctrl+alt+delete, rather than the second time (when I lock my screen at work I use windows+L) so I haven't actually had to use ctrl+alt+delete for several years.

I'll just go curl up in the corner and die of embarrassment now...

Comment

Yes. Yes, it does. ...
                            There, there Windows is just trying to catch up to Paul Simon for you.
                            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

In addition to Ctrl+Alt+Del, there is the Ctrl+Shift+ESC combo that brings up Task Manager. (There are some nasties that block/intercept CAD)
                              Also, the Windows key can be simulated with Ctrl+ESC.

Comment

Nice. The whole point of the 3-finger salute is that nasties aren't supposed to be able to intercept it.
                                Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
                                OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
                                she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
                                Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Working...
                                X