This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Relax in the Hotel Spa (No, don't...)

My boyfriend is the Maintenance Guy for one of the two hotels in town. It's the only hotel with a pool and a hot tub (they call it a spa) and as such, lots of people use those two things...correctly and incorrectly.

First off, I'll relate what happened today as it's more about the FORMER Maintenance Guy. Background: My boyfriend used to work on cars. He's never done hotel maintenance before so when they hired him on, the old MG took him around and showed him the ropes and that's all the training he ever got. Great, right? Wrong. Turns out that nobody told Boyfriend that the testing chemicals for the pool were over two years old--meaning they had to be replaced. The semi-good news is that boyfriend ordered replacements. Bad news: He didn't know the old ones were bad! Nobody told him! The old MG didn't even tell him that those chemicals CAN go bad!

You can see where this is going: A huge event was happening over the weekend and over 100 people used the pool. Out of those 100 people, 3 kids ended up with a rash. Now, logic sort of states that if your eyes get itchy or irritated when you're in a pool (because that's the very first thing that happens) then the chlorine level might be a little high and you shouldn't stay in too long. Unfortunately, these kids were dumb. They ended up with rashes. The parents were so mad that they called the County Health Department who came in and had BF test the water with the old kits AND the new kits. Totally different results but also: The ppm weren't SEVERELY off and the Health Dept woman said it would be hard to say if it would hurt people, it's likely the kids affected were just sensitive to chlorine.

So way to go, old MG for doing your part in training the new guy. I can only hope that the GM is rational enough to realize that improper training isn't exactly his fault and doesn't fire him (my anxiety insists that this could happen).

Bath Bombs???

Someone put a bath bomb in the hot tub. It went as well as you imagine. They had to replace the heater--a 3500 dollar job.

Shampoo???

One week after they replaced the heater in the tub from the bath bomb incident, two grown-ass women dumped an entire bottle of shampoo into the spa then crawled around the hotel hallways on their hands and knees, barking and howling like dogs and slamming their fists into other people's doors.

Please tell me that Bath Bomb and Shampoo people were charged for cleaning and repairs? I kind of hoping that shampoo women were on something that they shouldn't have been.

Also: Why the hell would you put anything in a hot tub/spa that wasn't yours? I've been in a spa once and it's fun enough without a bath bomb. (I've not been in one again because most of the time they are too hot and I can't add cold to stop me over heating.)
    A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Comment

Quoth Blue Ginger View Post
      Please tell me that Bath Bomb and Shampoo people were charged for cleaning and repairs? I kind of hoping that shampoo women were on something that they shouldn't have been.

Also: Why the hell would you put anything in a hot tub/spa that wasn't yours? I've been in a spa once and it's fun enough without a bath bomb. (I've not been in one again because most of the time they are too hot and I can't add cold to stop me over heating.)
      I believe the title of this forum should clue you in. *points*

And sort of on-topic, but I'd read somewhere that quite a few hotels will ban cosplayers who use body paint because the body paint has a tendency to not stay on the body AND because the cosplayers treat the hot tubs like their own personal bathtub. (idjits)

Comment

Quoth Blue Ginger View Post
        I've not been in one again because most of the time they are too hot and I can't add cold to stop me over heating.)
        Sounds like you want the Turkish or Scandinavian versions. In the latter case, it's traditionally straight from sauna to snow.

(Naw, I wouldn't do that either, I wouldn't trust my thermoregulation not to pack up and call it a day.)

I'd be hoping that the malefactors could be charged too (either on bill or docket), but alas, I wouldn't bet on it.

Comment

I recall times that I spent a good hour or more going from the spa to the pool and back. The thermal shock was an interesting experience...
          “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
          One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
          The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Quoth Gaki View Post
            My boyfriend is the Maintenance Guy for one of the two hotels in town. It's the only hotel with a pool and a hot tub (they call it a spa) and as such, lots of people use those two things...correctly and incorrectly.

Bath Bombs???

Someone put a bath bomb in the hot tub. It went as well as you imagine. They had to replace the heater--a 3500 dollar job.
            My youngest son (then 8) made some bath bombs for his sisters for Christmas stocking stuffers. He got the recipe off the internet and ordered the supplies from Amazon. Not sure what he used but he managed to turn one sister purple from the neck down. He spent a lot of time standing in the corner for that one.
            Last edited by EricKei; 03-18-2018, 01:29 PM. Reason: trimmed quote
            Bow down before me for I am ROOT

Preserving precious bodily fluids sine 1952

Comment

Accidentally? Accidentally on purpose? Or really TRULY meant to do it?

I mean, I'd feel sorry for the purple sister, but I'd be laughing so hard I peed myself, and crying. That's hilarious.

I bought my nephew some soda one time that turned his feces turquoise blue. Out of either Archie McFee or some other catalog. It was a huge hit, aside from his mother...

Comment

On a similar note, many years ago I gave my newly wed sister a set of body paints. She was later mad at because when she and her husband used them, they stained the sheets.
                "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Minflick View Post
                  I bought my nephew some soda one time that turned his feces turquoise blue.
                  Blue birthday cake frosting will do the same thing. There were blue decorations on my 40th birthday cake. Turned my tongue bright blue, and that wasn't all....
                  “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                  One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                  The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

White chocolate TARDIS, dyed blue. It came out bright green.
                    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                    Save the Ales!
                    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth Tanasi View Post
                      ... managed to turn one sister purple from the neck down...
                      Private Benjamin inspiration? I can hear the next 60 or so years of family party fights starting with a whispered, "Hey... Barney..."
                      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
                        Blue birthday cake frosting will do the same thing. There were blue decorations on my 40th birthday cake. Turned my tongue bright blue, and that wasn't all....
                        Oh dear...
                        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
                          There were a brand of popsicles being sold in Australia when I was still in primary school that happened to be sold in my school canteen (this was before the "healthy food" emphasis) and had the added side effect of turning your tongue blue for a long period of time. (I can't remember the name, but I think they were just called "blue tongue" ice blocks or something - anyone want to help me out?)

One of the teachers in my block (made up of Year 5-7 students) went so far as to ban her students from purchasing them. That rule of course, did not get followed. Unsurprisingly, she left the school at the end of the year and retired if memory serves me right.

Comment

Quoth LadyofArc View Post
                            ... turning your tongue blue ... Unsurprisingly, she left the school at the end of the year and retired if memory serves me right.
                            Being greeted by a classroom full of blueys could put one off their Weet-Bix!
                            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth LadyofArc View Post
                              There were a brand of popsicles being sold in Australia when I was still in primary school that happened to be sold in my school canteen (this was before the "healthy food" emphasis) and had the added side effect of turning your tongue blue for a long period of time.
                              Could be much worse; this one kids' breakfast cereal contained some red dye that, um, "persisted".

Comment

Working...
                              X