Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm seeing a big parallel between WIC and self-checkout machines. Both of them require the *customer* to have his/her in order, otherwise everything goes to .

Comment

What gets fun is when someone tries to use WIC on a self-checkout...NO. What on the self-checkout says to you that you can use WIC (or any form of paper payment other than cash) here? I think they think it's the same as EBT
      "I am quite confident that I do exist."
      "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Letting people do WIC on SCO is the worst idea I could think of.

Yes, let's let people try to scan their things, maybe incorrectly through no fault of their own, and lose the store its WIC privileges.

I really hope it kicks out that option when they try to do it because that's just a recipe for disaster.
        My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Quoth Tama View Post
          Letting people do WIC on SCO is the worst idea I could think of.

Yes, let's let people try to scan their things, maybe incorrectly through no fault of their own, and lose the store its WIC privileges.

I really hope it kicks out that option when they try to do it because that's just a recipe for disaster.
          WIC orders for this place need to be done in a certain mode, which SCO can't do (as in, it's not even an option). I tell them that they can't do it here and please use a mainline register.

Comment

Have WIC vouchers changed? When I dealt with them at the store many years ago, the vouchers had to be signed twice. Once when they were picked up at the health dept and again at the store. Those signatures had to be the same. How is grandma using her daughters vouchers? That used to be a HUGE no-no.

Comment

It's fine if I tell the SCs this after the fact (wasting everyone's time as I have three other SCOs to deal with, not to mention the shouty ones believe that 'if I can't use this here it shouldn't have let me scan stuff!'), but can I post signs informing customers before they start? No

The SCOs do have a register, but it's a pain to sign into; also, I know that the media (CC slips, checks, coupons, etc) that are collected there never gets swept in a timely manner--the thinking seems to be that it's not supposed to be used, so nothing should be in there. The last time I took it upon myself to clean out that drawer I found CC slips from two months ago and coupons from last year. I haven't yet found any WIC checks in there, but I can almost guarantee that if someone does take WIC on that drawer it will languish for quite awhile.
              Last edited by Dreamstalker; 07-30-2013, 08:34 PM.

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
                It's fine if I tell the SCs this after the fact (wasting everyone's time as I have three other SCOs to deal with, not to mention the shouty ones believe that 'if I can't use this here it shouldn't have let me scan stuff!'), but can I post signs informing customers before they start? No
                I find the orders with WIC to be a dead giveaway to what they have, particularly if they have multiple gallons of milk, Juicy Juice or what have you. They did get smart and locked most of the baby formula in a new case they installed by customer service THE SOLUTION CENTER.

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post

The SCOs do have a register, but it's a pain to sign into; also, I know that the media (CC slips, checks, coupons, etc) that are collected there never gets swept in a timely manner--the thinking seems to be that it's not supposed to be used, so nothing should be in there. The last time I took it upon myself to clean out that drawer I found CC slips from two months ago and coupons from last year. I haven't yet found any WIC checks in there, but I can almost guarantee that if someone does take WIC on that drawer it will languish for quite awhile.
                  And of course, if you do ring up someone for WIC on the SCO register during a busy time, you will have a line that starts to form in front of that little bag and belt-less, hand scanner only kiosk. I used to stack five or six "Lane Closed" signs on that thing and people would still ask if I could ring them out. </trauma></rant>

Texas has the right idea on WIC. Use a card with a chip that connects to a central WIC database, which tracks what each member gets. Rather than using vouchers, you can simply generate a list of what benefits are currently assigned to the card (it can be done from the register, though there's probably an online version somewhere). Moreover, at least at Wal-Mart as you scan the items through it would beep if the item is covered and not beep if it isn't, giving you immediate feedback on whether or not an item is WIC approved. If it doesn't beep, it isn't covered, and no amount of yelling will change that. Computers are impassive that way (it's why I love them). The only drawback is that WIC transactions have to be specified as WIC before the transaction starts. Sure beats the hell out of trying to use the little checks though, and only marginally slower than a regular transaction.

Comment

Grendus, that's one of the reasons I never actually sign into that register anymore. I can help people at the SCO, but I will not sign into the kiosk (for one, that kills my IPM as it's a long sign-on time with no items scanned; second is that there is very little room there to begin with and I don't want people clogging up an SCO lane with carts).

That card-based WIC sounds like a great idea...however around here, you'd probably get some conspiracy-theory nuts screaming about how the chip is transmitting everything about them to the big bad guvmint (my town has traffic/surveillance cameras at the main intersection; the town was forced to put 'eyelids' over them during the day so people could be sure they weren't having their privacy invaded on public property).

Dizazter, our vouchers only have to be signed once: in front of the cashier, which can result in the purchaser not being the name on the voucher. Some cases can be explained (relative doing the shopping when mom has to work, regular customers so we know the story and they have all the proper ID), some can't.

Comment

Heh, conspiracy nuts. I love em, not because they're so crazy but because they dream so small. In less than a decade we've convinced the the vast majority of the developed world, as well as a fair chunk of the developing world, to carry microphones, GPS units, high resolution cameras, accelerometers, temperature sensors, and transmitters on them at all times. We have computers powerful enough to parse all the information coming out of those and derive patterns from them, and we have algorithms to parse search and social media trends to track protests or epidemics - what more could they do with every word any person has ever spoken within 5 feet of a cell phone? 1984 is child's play, we're talking Multivac levels of computer omniscience (and that's a low ball guess). And that's just smartphones - wait til you hear what they can do with the browsing habits your ISP keeps in their logs...

And people worry about traffic cameras violating their privacy? Luddites.

Comment

Quoth Dizazter View Post
                        Have WIC vouchers changed? When I dealt with them at the store many years ago, the vouchers had to be signed twice. Once when they were picked up at the health dept and again at the store. Those signatures had to be the same. How is grandma using her daughters vouchers? That used to be a HUGE no-no.
                        At least in my state, you have to have your folder when you use a voucher. The folder has room for three signatures, yourself and two authorized signers who can pick up vouchers and use them in your stead. This allows for those who might be sick or at work to still get the benefits without losing the paycheck or being out in public while sick. And it only requires one signature on the check too.

So, as long as Grandma has the folder and is a signer on it, she can pick up and use the checks.
                        If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Working...
                        X