This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hurricane Lorenzo

Is on his way... strongest storm ever recorded in our bit of the Atlantic....major flooding already on the lsle of Man and evacuation orders for South Scotland Northern Ireland and Man. Stay safe Brits its expected to be very nasty over the next day or two. And don't go dancing on the beaches to take pictures of the pretty waves...
    The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Stay safe, Kit.
    This site proves Corey Taylor right. Man really is a "four letter word."

I'm now using my Deviant Art page to post my humor.

Comment

Take care of yourself, Kit.
      Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
      ~ Mr Hero

Comment

I'm lucky enough to be on the east coast, so it's not really going to effect us.

Any Brits who haven't signed up to the Environment Agency alerts really should; they were very good about giving out warnings in the last few hairy weather situations.

Also, if you're given an evacuation recommendation rather than a mandatory evacuation order, it would still be best to go. Yes, it is inconvenient, however so would being stuck in a flooded or storm-damaged house, trying to salvage what you can. Trying to pack up the important stuff on short notice is a nightmare; I can tell you that from experience!
        "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Stay safe GJ.The east coast has a nasty habit of falling into the sea when it gets too wet and wild...
          The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
            Stay safe GJ.The east coast has a nasty habit of falling into the sea when it gets too wet and wild...
            I'm not touching that innuendo with a barge-pole!

On a more serious note, the incident you're referencing was actually just a bit up the coast from me, and I've visited it more than once for days out (at least, before the more interesting shops got replaced by typical tourist tat /rant). I heard it announced on BBC Radio Norfolk as it was happening (who actually got an award for their excellent job in keeping everyone up to date on evacuation areas, which roads to avoid due to flooding, etc.).

Thankfully my late mum's bungalow (which is where I now live) is in just the right spot; far enough up the road that leads (literally) down to the beach than we don't have to worry about anything bar a tsunami, but not far enough up that we get flooded by water coming down from the main road that it joins up to. You also have to go up a slope about a foot high from the pavement to the front door, so the gutters would have to overflow by an insane amount to reach it. I did get a bit worried at points on Sunday, though!
            "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

As hurricanes go that one was fairly unimpressive from here. Bit of rain, couple of tree branches waving about wildly....

Comment

Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
                Bit of rain, couple of tree branches waving about wildly....
                "Bit of rain"? It looked like the sky had a grudge against the ground and was trying to beat it into submission! We actually had some flooding in the local area, which is impressive considering how much the local council has spent on upgrading the sewers and flood prevention measures in the last half a century.

Comment

Working...
                X