This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feel a little sucky about something..

A place most claim to not like..yet they are doing good business..is doing a 'round up for charity'. You tell them to round up to the nearst amount that ends with a 0...(so if your total is 7.79...they round to 7.80) and you get a card that can be turned in for a free medium soda..not exactly free..but I did just give .5c for a medium soda)...not sure how to feel about that..
    Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Don't feel bad. It's their promotion. They're willing to take a slight loss to get customers to come into the store. Most places usually charge a lot more for the soda than it costs to make.
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
    My LiveJournal
    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

This is true. While, yes, they're losing a bit of money (which they'll just write off anyway), I can assure you that the cup the drink is in is, by far, the most expensive component, followed by the lid and the straw.

To give an example from, oh 20 years ago at a place where I worked -- and I've been assured that costs haven't gone up terribly since that time -- our average cost for providing someone a 20-oz glass of fountain soda came out to six cents. This included the costs for (averaged over time): The drink machine (rental) and cleaning it, the glasses and cleaning them, the water, CO2, and soda syrup in BiBs (Bag-in-Boxes), hoses, ice, refrigeration to prevent it all from going flat, etc. SIX cents. Back then, foam cups were ~25c, lids 15-20, straws 5c.

PS, That last one is why the tubes run through the ice machine -- If your soda is room temperature coming out of the spigot instead of at least moderately cool (to the point where it doesn't really NEED ice so badly), there's a good chance it's flat, or soon will be. This is also why it's a bad idea to completely run out of ice with such a setup.

Note that, perversely, most places basically pay retail for pre-packaged sodas in cans or bottles. This is why, even then, we charged $2 for a 20-oz and $3.20 for a 2-liter.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
      X