No announcement yet.

What Are You Reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just finished Gail Carringer's 'Etiquette and Espionage' set in a floating steampunk finishing school... where young ladies are taught not only to dance gracefully with a young man,but where to conceal a dagger about their person should lethal force be needed. Can't wait for the next instalment.
    The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

• Reading an anthology of Gothic stories with a twist called Exquisite Aberrations (full disclosure: I have a story in it but wanted to read all the others) and just getting into Hero with a Thousand Faces. I love Joseph Campbell's PBS series but have never read his books! Time to rectify the one most closely associated with storytelling.
      https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

• Quoth Pixelated View Post
        Still re-reading my way through my collection. I just finished The Fire Kimono by Laura Joh Rowland, and am now on The Snow Empress, by the same author. They are two books in a mystery series set in 17th-century Japan.
        Might have to look into that one. I've recently been on a samurai kick, and historical/fantasy Japan is always fun.

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
        I'm well aware it's a massive series. That's one reason I got into it. It'll keep my reading time filled for a while.
        Ah, WoT. I tried, I really did. I made it to about book...four, I think? The one where the protagonist is lost in the desert for 400 freaking pages. I think my brain called self-preservation on that one.

At the same time, Classic Fantasy Epics...I've started my yearly-ish reread of The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings a little late this year (Frodo and Bilbo's canonical birthday is the 22nd). I've read 'em a dozen times by now, surely, but they're comfort food. Something I can pick up, cruise through a chapter, and enjoy a nibble at a time.
        Cheap, fast, good. Pick two.
        They want us to read minds, I want read/write.

Comment

• I rip through 3 - 4 books on Kindle Unlimited per week. I may have a problem...

Anyway, things I would recommend:

Anything by Drew Hayes. If you don't like him, skip further down for other stuff. Just look for '/Drew Hayes'.

I got caught up in his Super Powereds series, which is complete btw. I normally don't read superhero anything outside of comic books, but gave this a try and was not disappointed. One of my all time favorite series period.

Outside of superhero books, Drew also has:

A fantasy series set in a D&D type world - I don't want to spoil anything, but this is good stuff and is an ongoing series which has not been completed.

Then there is the series which starts with The Utterly Uninteresting and Unadventurous Tales of Fred, the Vampire Accountant. Also, really interesting characters and a fun time.

/Drew Hayes. But still, all of his stuff is great so far, IMO.

I've been blasting through LitRPG books - for those who are unfamiliar with the genre, LitRPG are books where people typically find themselves trapped/living in an MMO world.

A few recommendations in this vein:

The Land series by Aleron Kong is pretty damned good, so far.
          The Bushido Online series by Nikita Thorn has been solid.
          The Armored Souls series by Xavier P. Hunter.
          The Viridian Gate Online series by James Hunter.
          The Stonehaven League series by Carrie Summers.

Similar, but different, are cultivation series, where people 'cultivate' power/chi/etc. in order to grow in power. This overlapped for me with dungeon core series, so I'm combining the lists:

The Divine Dungeon series by Dakota Krout.
          The Cradle series by Will Wight.
          The System Apocalypse series by Tao Wong.
          A Thousand Li series by Tao Wong.
          The Rogue Dungeon series by James Hunter & Eden Hudson.

And, of course, if you get these through Amazon they will link you to a bunch of similar items.

The only thing I haven't enjoyed recently are harem stories. The characters are always so - early teenager daydream tropes that it's mentally painful to try to read the rest of the story. The first couple I stumbled into were not tagged as such, so it took a bit before I realized what I was reading. It's too bad, some of them were otherwise interesting fantasy worlds. Your mileage may vary and your opinions may differ, of course, but these books are not for me.

Also there are a few LitRPG shorts which I've found to be basically misogynistic rape fantasies. So, be sure to check reviews before delving into some of the oddly sized/priced stuff.

Comment

• Lately, I've been enjoying Leigh Perry's Family Skeleton series, beginning with A Skeleton in the Family.
            "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

• Joseph Campbell's Hero with a Thousand Faces. I watched his PBS series when it was on Netflix and thought I should start with the book of his that would be most important to a storyteller.

Comment

• I just got Hope Rides Again, by Andrew Shaffer. It's the second book in the Obama/Biden mystery series. Am only about 6 pages in, so can't say much about it, LOL.
                Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                ~ Mr Hero

Comment

• Ha! I know Andrew. He's married to my friend/old co-worker, a very popular erotica/romance author in her own right. He's funny, I bet you'll enjoy it.

Comment

• I did indeed. I also enjoyed the first one in the series ("Hope Never Dies"). I hope he plans to write more.

I also look forward to reading more of his already-published works.
                    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                    ~ Mr Hero

Comment

• On top of the rest of my stack right now, I got my copy of Usagi Yojimbo volume 7 in. The Dark Horse collections have been a fantastic way to get through a lot of the strip - I'm caught up to current issues once i'm through this collection, having started in on it only a year or two ago. Have to say it's one of my favourite comics.

Comment

• I just finished Hopscotch by Brian Garfield.

I was inspired to read the novel after watching the movie Hopscotch which starred Walther Matthau and Glenda Jackson.

Both are excellent.
                        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

• Re-reading the Dresden Files series. Harry Potter meets Sam Spade
                          My son thinks I'm Lucifer Morningstar. I'm not sure he's wrong.

Comment

• Quoth YamiNoHime View Post
                            Re-reading the Dresden Files series. Harry Potter meets Sam Spade
                            Remember, although the building was on fire, it was not his fault.
                            PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

• Quoth YamiNoHime View Post
                              Re-reading the Dresden Files series. Harry Potter meets Sam Spade
                              Still waiting on the most recent book.... It's been in final edit for months.

I really enjoyed the series at first, but in the more recent books Harry has so much baggage it takes the fun out of them.

Just noticed I have an alert on my Kindle account. "Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch" by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchet is on sale for $4 for a day or so.
                              There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

• Quoth It's me View Post
                                Still waiting on the most recent book.... It's been in final edit for months.

I really enjoyed the series at first, but in the more recent books Harry has so much baggage it takes the fun out of them.

Just noticed I have an alert on my Kindle account. "Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch" by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchet is on sale for $4 for a day or so.
                                I'm still watching for the second Cinder Spires book, myself. Quite enjoyed Aeronaut's Windlass, and it's been three or four years since that one came out.

Comment

Working...
                                X