This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What have I done??

I have to really adult now. I bought a car today and I have buyer's remorse. It's just that I'm panicking about the loan, much as some people do when hit with the gravity of a mortgage. The total cost of the loan is going to be just over $14,000 which is staggering to me. The only other time I bought a car I spent $7,000 (?) by the time the loan was done. By the time this car is paid off, the span of my car ownership will be 22 years and I will have paid $21,000 in car purchases.
    I know I've been greatly blessed.
    1. My first car was given me by my parents.
    2. I lost the parental hand-me-down when I was hit in an ice storm and I got a Mercury which is the first loan I paid.
    3. The Mercury eventually went south and I couldn't fix it anymore so I scrapped it and some dear friends sold me their Camry Gloria for $1. I drove her until I got into an accident and I kept driving her but eventually the exhaust needed fixing. I just couldn't pay for that so I went car-free for a year which was OK because I was working 35 hours a week at one job and the bus dropped me at its door.
    4. Then I got my current job and I needed a vehicle to get to training and really just get there and home in general because bus service to that building stinks. Enter second couple who lent me their car, then offered to shop around for one for me since I had two jobs and was having a hard time with that, and then eventually said, "You know what? We'll pay for it." That's how I got Gertrude the Camry.
    5. She's dead, y'all. Starter is broken. There's an exhaust leak that made me dizzy sometimes. Squealing belts, passenger window that hasn't gone up since June, bad struts, broken wiper fluid tank, and lots of other little things. Gertrude is going to Car Heaven. I miss her already; I really do. I like those '90s cars.

I now have a 2010 Nissan Altima with 72,000 on her. I am hoping I can get through a year or two with no major problems while I try to pay down my debt that's not in collections (some credit cards). After that I'll still be losing money to a garnishment but I'll be OK if I work a part-time on the side and save so at some point I can try to settle with them for less. It is just going to be hard for a while. And even after the credit cards are down, it's still going to be hard for me to pay $300 a month to have a vehicle. I know I got away with murder for 17 years on transportation costs, even with the thousands in repairs. I know I've done nothing to deserve people buying me cars. I know there are people paying more than $300 for payment/insurance. I know the debt is totally my fault, especially the last 2 years' worth of credit card debt. (I should've been working 2 jobs all last year.) I just have this mental block against a loan that big. And yet, the judgment is bigger than that, to be honest. It's just something I'm going to have to work through emotionally.

But here are the positives: much newer vehicle with far fewer miles on it. My CC debt can be knocked out in a year or maybe 1 1/2. I know how to live poor. Then I can concentrate on throwing more at the car loan to pay it off earlier and bring the total down. And having a good vehicle means I can work more hours, maybe deliver things or get to other cities where pay is better. And I guess it's a fairly nice car. Honestly, they all look the same to me and cars don't really impress me, but it's nice not to have a junker I'm worried about all the time. Also I can breathe when I drive, LOL.

Anyone else ever have that panic moment? ETA: I need another G name. I wanted to go with Gladys because I like old names, but this one is too shiny to have an old name. I did think of Genevieve but that's too feminine for this car. I want an old lady name but it doesn't fit. hmmm What do y'all think?

ETA #2: I just talked to my mom and we compared notes. My tax withholding is entirely too high. No wonder I'm more broke than I should be! I'm going to adjust my W-4 and see what happens to my pay. I bet it would actually cover the car payment. So instead of getting a huge tax refund I'll get a small one. I'm OK with that.
    Last edited by Food Lady; 10-27-2019, 09:58 PM.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

I understand your panic moment but given your careful listing of the pros and cons, I think you have done absolutely the right thing. As you say, you now have a reliable vehicle and that is nothing to sneeze at. I had what is probably my gas tank cover (protects the tank against road salt and such) fall off in the middle of the road the other day ... Not an emergency but it's a warning sign, IMO, that my aged 2004 vehicle is in worse condition than its aged owner.

As for a new name, given your car's stellar condition and my interest in British history, how about Gloriana? (One of the 'nicknames' of Queen Elizabeth I )
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Gertrude....
      The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Gretchen

Gracie

Greta

Gigi

Gabrielle

Giselle

Georgina

Giannetta

Comment

Gwen, short for Gwennivere?

Genevieve?

Gene?

Goffrida?

Glynda the Good Witch?
          “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
          One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
          The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
            My tax withholding is entirely too high. No wonder I'm more broke than I should be! I'm going to adjust my W-4 and see what happens to my pay. I bet it would actually cover the car payment. So instead of getting a huge tax refund I'll get a small one. I'm OK with that.
            Here's the IRS withholding estimator, FWIW. Best I can tell it's setup for a real small refund or even owing low 3 figures at most.
            This late in the year you will probably get a 3 or low 4 figure refund. Consider putting that to debts.
            Yes, you may PM me with more detailed info about withholding.
            I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
            -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Gilfhellasordaros, Reaper of Asphalt.

I'm helping.

Comment

This last year I also bought a car. Brand-spanking new, with a grown up loan and everything. First time in my driving history, same as you! I've been driving around 15 years now, this is my third car ever. I didn't have remorse exactly, but it took quite a while for it to sink in... This car is mine. All the seals are tight (my old car would get wet on the inside when it rained, which is all the time), all the electronics work, there's no unidentifiable stains or burns or smells. No warning lights are on. It's so quiet and always starts and has never broken down anywhere, especially not on the highway. I always thought buying brand new was dumb, considering how much value it loses just driving off the lot, but I regret nothing.

But it's a good reminder that I need to pay more on it each month, it's easy to do the regular payment and then a principle only payment.
                Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

So a penguin is on holiday and travelling through the desert when his car conks out and starts dripping oil everywhere. Whilst he's waiting for the breakdown van to come and rescue him he notices an ice cream parlour nearby,and as he's never had ice cream he decided to treat himself. Just as he's finished the breakdown guy arrives.After taking a look at the car he tells the penguin 'Looks like you've blown a seal mate' to which the penguin replies 'No mate honest it's just ice cream'....

I thank you.I'll be here all week and try the veal.
                  The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Working...
                  X