This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does this even exist?

Customer in my line hands me a four-pack of sprinkles (those coloured and sometimes glittery things you scatter over cookies, cupcakes, and so on).

Customer: "Can you tell me ... are these vegan?"

Me:

I had no idea. She got them from our "regular" baking aisle so I said they were probably not vegan and suggested she might want to look at our health-food section, which is several aisles over from the "regular" aisle.

Does anybody know if "vegan sprinkles" even exist??
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Here's an idea: Have them read the ingredients list. As long as it doesn't say something like "milk", "milk products", "beef tallow", or "lard", it is almost certainly vegan.

You'd think that a vegan would learn to read labels, but I guess that's just too much work for some people.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
    One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
    The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

None of those were on the list of ingredients, although there were some things that I couldn't recognize ...
      ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
        Yes. Yes they do. It scares me how easy that was to find.

Comment

They're coloured sugar. So long as they haven't used cochineal as a colouring, you should be fine.
          This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
          I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

I always wondered what it was that would make them not vegan. Cochineal didn't occur to me. And now I wonder if the wax coating is tallow-derived. I know the wax on wax paper is so I hope she doesn't put her cookies on it.
            "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
              I just had to look.

Yes, they exist. Regular ones may or may not be vegan, depending. Evidently "confectioners glaze" is often made from the Lac bug (same as shellac), and sometimes the "food grade wax" binder/emulsifier can be made from an animal product.

I doubt that any food company wants to publicize "insect residue" as an ingredient int their food, so the obfuscation of the origin of the glaze is not surprising.

There are a lot of contradictory answers out there, so it seems the actual answers are murky.
              “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
              One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.

Comment

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
                There are a lot of contradictory answers out there, so it seems the actual answers are murky.
                In this case, as well as being colorful.
                "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Arcus View Post
                  Yes. Yes they do. It scares me how easy that was to find.
                  Interesting. I'm willing to bet we don't carry them, though.
                  ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                    I always wondered what it was that would make them not vegan. Cochineal didn't occur to me. And now I wonder if the wax coating is tallow-derived. I know the wax on wax paper is so I hope she doesn't put her cookies on it.
                    From what I've been able to learn, most of the time the wax coating is caranuba wax, which is from a plant. Confectioner's glaze is a whole other material. It's made from shellac, which comes from a bug. Pharmaceutical glaze is another preparation from lac beetles (almost identical to confectioner's glaze, just with a different proportion of lac secretion), and is used extensively to coat tablets and capsules. So... if you're vegetarian or vegan, be sure to ask about the coatings on any meds you take.
                    You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Quoth Kittish View Post
                      ... So... if you're vegetarian or vegan, be sure to ask about the coatings on any meds you take.
                      To induce panic levels, research allowable POFM* levels in foodstuffs.

Yes, Virinia, sometimes a mousey goes through the 100% organic Stone-Ground Mill. What's your beef? He was eating organic grain...

*Percentage Of Foreign Materials
                      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

dale - I skirted along the edge of that rabbit hole ages ago (pre-internet). I recall enough to know I have no interest in jumping down the actual, bunny-crap-filled hole.
                        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Reminds me of a story a friend told me many years back.

For some reason, he was inspecting a place that made sausage. (Yes, it's true what they say about how sausage is made.) At one point, one worker's rubber boot got caught in the machinery, and slid off of the worker's foot into the sausage filling. The worker was upset about that, naturally, and yelled over at his supervisor "What's the max spec for rubber boot in the sausage?" Turns out there was none, so they took the other boot off and threw it into the filling as well!

I really hope he was just feeding me tall tales, but....

Comment

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
                            I really hope he was just feeding me tall tales, but....
                            I have had some rather chewy sausage over the years. Maybe that's why.
                            Last edited by EricKei; 03-27-2021, 01:52 AM. Reason: snip
                            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Working...
                            X