This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You're part of the problem

Well, part of this may have been my fault.

I was just sitting in the mall food court when a guy recognized me as working at one of the stores. I confirmed which store it was. He was thinking of applying and wanted to pick my brain. That part is ok by me. He asked "What is going on with [Company]?" He asked because, as he said, I have often looked like I don't want to be there. I didn't mind him saying that; it's true. That's why my new job will be better; my clients will only know me over the phone.

Anyway, in listing the few reasons I'm making it my weekend job I mistakenly mentioned that "It's physically hard on me" and when he asked how I said that I have a medical issue and then tried to move on from that topic. Now he wanted to know what was wrong with me, so he asked if it was hips and knees and I was truthfully able to say no and I tried to change the subject again. Then he asked if I have cancer. Again I said no and tried to get past that. There were a couple more "You're ok, right?"s. It was akward.

Now, I feel like I started that by mentioning it at all (diarrhea of the mouth, I guess), but he could've let it go. When I have to tell customers at work that I can't lift something but I can get help if we need it, the polite ones say, "Oh, no problem!" cheerfully and deal with it. The nosey ones say stuff like "Are you pregnant?" So though I do have to bring it up, people can and do avoid prying. That's why I'm annoyed. He asked questions 3 times. This is what my sucktomers do and why I can't work there full-time anymore, even if the hours become available.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

You just have to tell him "It's not your concern. Please stop asking about my private life."

If he still won't let it go then end the conversation.

Comment

And as for customers, if they ask if you're pregnant, as simple "no I'm not; I just can't lift" will suffice.

Comment

In the era of Facebook some people have forgotten that not everyone wants to discuss the intimate details of their lives and don't find comfort in being questioned about that. A simple "I like to keep that private" is often enough to remind them. If they're good-intentioned and oblivious, they'll stop. If not, they're rude.
        "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Working...
        X