Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When the hell did this become socially acceptable?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When the hell did this become socially acceptable?

Bear in mind this is FAR from an isolated example, it's just the one I took notes on and finally remembered to post.

A customer came to the register and asked to buy two different cigars. His total was $2.52.
    He had two quarters ($0.50), two $1 bills, and at least two $5 bills.
    He hands me the ones and the quarters, then asks me. "Have you got two cents?"

No.

Maybe, just maybe, I might chip in if you genuinely didn't have the money. Probably not, though. I usually point out we sell cheaper cigars.

I even said to one person who got extra offended when I said no, "Welcome to being an adult: you are expected to PAY for what you want."

I had thought this just might be something cultural that I wasn't aware of, as everyone who asks is black and I am not, but two black ladies in my line joked about asking me to chip in some change and then talked with each other about how that HATE people who do that in their jobs as cashiers. "You gonna cover me on my RENT?" one of them said, as if to such a customer.
    I was so glad to learn it wasn't just me.

It's not like I never asked a cashier to give me a few cents towards my purchase. When I was ten. And I was spending all the money I had. And I was buying ONE item, and there was no cheaper alternative. "Please, sir, I'd very much like this toy car, but with tax it comes to $1.27 and I only have $1.25."

But for a legal adult who clearly has other money to ask me to cover because he doesn't want to break a bill?
    No.
    In fact, the price just went up, because I deserve a tip just for you having asked me. You worried about getting back a handful of change? Gimme one of those fives and we'll call it even.

It's a bit of a douche move but at AZ autoparts- they didn't care. Tills being off a couple bucks was not the end of the world.
    AkaiKitsune
    Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

I would just say "I'm not allowed to carry cash on me while working." That makes it clear that no, you are not going to short the store's money and that the cheapskate is in fact asking you for money which they shouldn't be. The till leeway shouldn't even figure into it. It's the principle.
      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

In a way I blame the "take a penny" dishes that some shops have. People get so used to just grabbing from those that it becomes expected that everyone will do it. Nobody likes pennies.
        "I am quite confident that I do exist."
        "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

If you're honestly completely tapped-out of cash and are only a few pennies short, I can sort of understand asking (politely...!) if the cashier can help you out, but if you ask simply so you won't have to break a larger bill, then no, too bad.

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
            Nobody likes pennies.

Click image for larger version

Name:	angrycoin.png
Views:	1
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	2030797

Hey lady you got a problem with me? Right you and me gonna sort this out now and I'm gonna sort you out proper. Outside. Now.
            The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Now that Canada has gotten rid of the penny, we no longer see those have-a-penny-give-a-penny dishes. And I have yet to see a have-a-nickle dish, but I don't doubt that they exist somewhere.

A lot of years ago when I worked in a corner store we had a regular customer who used to come in daily for a slushy and he was always short by twelve cents - he'd scrounge all the change from the penny dish to make up the difference. I kept telling him that as he's well aware of how much the slushy costs that he needs to make sure he's got the whole amount instead of taking any and all pennies out of the dish. His response? "That's what the dish is there for - if somebody is short a couple of cents!" He clearly didn't grasp the actual concept of the thing, so one day as soon as he walked through the door, I removed the penny dish from the counter, put the pennies along the side of my till where he couldn't get them, and put the dish itself in a drawer. Up buddy comes, smile on his face, expecting to dig twelve cents out of the dish...that is no longer there. He whined about it and didn't like it when I told him that if he didn't have the full amount that he couldn't have his slushy, and as he only came in during my shift it wasn't like he'd be able to pull a fast one on the other cashiers there. He dumped the slushy all over the counter as he yelled at me - I kicked him out of the store and told him to never come back on my shift. Luckily, during the remainder of my time at this store he never showed his face again.

Comment

Working...
              X