This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random annoying customers

Some were sucky, some were just "Will you please THINK AHEAD" types ...

1) Customer comes through and pays for a fairly large order with cash ($100). I count out the change.

Customer: "Oh, could I have small bills?"

Me: *sigh* "Sure." I hand her the change, and then start on the next customer.

THEN ...

Customer: "Oh, I'm sorry, could you break this $10? I need smaller bills for my son's fundraiser."

I had to tell her I could not open the till right then because I was in the middle of the next transaction. To be fair, she agreed to wait, and did so without complaining. Eventually I was able to give her her two $5 bills.

2) Customer has a very small order but also wants to buy TEN bags. They are 5 cents each. I say sure and ring them in and then, never having done this before, start pulling the bags off one at a time and placing them, as flat as possible, on the belt.

Customer: "What are you doing??"

Me: "Getting your extra bags ..."

Customer: "WELL. The other staff count the bags from the bottom! They don't make a MESS like this!"

Me:

I counted off her last three bags "properly" and laid them on top of the "mess" and then folded the "mess" as carefully as possible and stuffed it into her shopping bag with her actual purchases.

3) Customer (different one from #1) comes through with an order and pays cash. Asks if she can get cashback. I tell her yes, but you must use a debit card and do NOT use the tap function (it zips you right past the cashback option, do not pass GO, do not get any cash back).

She wants $100 cash back. Okay. I give her five $20 bills and close the cash drawer.

Customer: "Oh wait, can I get a $100 bill? Do you have one?"

Me:

Fortunately, I had not started on the next customer, so I was able to open my cash drawer and fish around and, thankfully, found a $100 bill. (Have to admit that's an unusual request; 99% of the time people prefer the smaller bills. I'm guessing it was going in a birthday card or something similar.)
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

About #1, please be careful with situations like that. Good article on quick change scams here.
    "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
      About #1, please be careful with situations like that. Good article on quick change scams here.
      Absolutely! I've not had a scammer YET (at least, nobody has come to talk to me about my till being off) but I have read some stories like that before. They depend on the cashier being rushed in order to pull off the scam.

To date none of these customers were working in pairs. Doesn't mean there aren't any solo scammers out there, of course ...

I get rather annoyed at this kind of thing and do my best to SLOW DOWN so as not to muck things up. The customers who get held up by this are more than welcome to glare at the customer who is holding things up.
      Last edited by Pixelated; 10-19-2019, 04:35 AM.
      Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
      ~ Mr Hero

Comment

I love the customers who want specific change but haven't thought the transaction through.
        These include:
        Buying something that costs a few $, pay with a 20, ask for a ten and the rest in ones. Then immediately buy something else for $5 and pay in all ones.

Paying for something that cost over $10 entirely in ones, then asking to get 10 ones for a ten.

Making several purchases using fives and tens, then asking to turn the ones you just got back into larger bills.

But the winner was the guy who went into a store with signs on the door saying they keep less than $30 in the registers to cash a $300 lottery winner. When told we can only get $40 every two minutes, so it will be at least 15 minutes agrees to wait. And then, after waiting and getting that cash, uses it (and more) to buy $400+ in money orders.
        (What I guess he hadn't thought about, besides that he could have paid for the money orders with the winner directly, is that the money we can vend from the safe and the money we drop into the safe are completely separate. We might actually run out of change, even though there is lots of money in the safe for the deposit. ... and that the bank actually charges us to get money from them.)

Comment

Working...
        X