Go Back   Customers Suck! > The Heart of the Site > General Work Chat

Old 03-03-2020, 10:41 PM
Philosophical Tomato

Our shipments from Italy have been impacted...I suspect that USDA/Customs is delaying imports from certain regions/cities and there are some products that we just can't get at all (production may be affected by the quarantines). Stock has been flying out the door--mainly staples such as pasta, rice, canned tomatoes, etc. The front end has been fielding a few complaints of price gouging...hahaNO. It's not price gouging if we haven't raised our prices and "but it was on sale last week!" doesn't count. So far I've had five people at work try to steal my personal hand sanitizer and another department swiped a case of antibac surface wipes that our manager bought out-of-pocket. So many people wearing those paper surgical masks that don't work.

I indulged my twisted sense of humor yesterday...I'm one of those people that sneezes in bright sunlight for no reason. I was sitting on the train platform waiting for a friend and sneezed quietly into my arm (once, I had no runny nose or anything else). The bench I was sitting on and about three feet at each end cleared out.

Old 03-03-2020, 11:24 PM
Insomniac with Cable TV

Quote:
Quoth LadyofArc View Post
Over here in the land Down Under, it's been toilet paper for some reason .
I originally thought the news was exaggerating until I visited the local supermarket this afternoon to get some munchies before a training session and discovered that the entire toilet paper section of this particular supermarket (which wasn't too big to begin with) was cleaned out. Even the cheap, crappy (heh) 1-ply stuff.
According to Sora News [used to be Rocket News] the reason for the panic [?] is that a rumor started going around that TP was effectively the same stuff used in masks ... and one could theoretically make masks out of TP. Yah, no.
Quote:
Quoth MadMike View Post
Not my job, as I've been out of retail over 30 years now, but apparently people are buying up dust masks. I was in Home Depot the other day, and that section was almost completely empty. There was also a sign saying that they were limiting sales of the masks to two per person.
If I am that worried about it, I will go downstairs, break out my air pack and grab some anti-cs and deal.

Old 03-03-2020, 11:37 PM
Essential Worker

Quote:
Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
According to Sora News [used to be Rocket News] the reason for the panic [?] is that a rumor started going around that TP was effectively the same stuff used in masks ... and one could theoretically make masks out of TP. Yah, no.
The Store hasn't been in any danger of running out of toilet paper. The local newspaper is reporting that some of our competitors have, though.

Old 03-04-2020, 01:19 AM
Loanshark IT

Number of US deaths from influenza. Nobody is freaking their shit over that.

Old 03-04-2020, 03:14 AM
Bookkeeper

I'm having trouble getting really worked up. Seems like every year there's some "OMG world's about to end" virus or other panic. I feel like I'm dealing with the boy who cried wolf.

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Old 03-04-2020, 05:47 AM
Assistant Manager

OM freaking G!! We've been out of hand sanitizer and face masks and I get asked if we have more or where they are ALL DAY LONG. Make it stooooop! Every time we get more in they're gone in the blink of an eye. I've never seen anything like it. Apparently all the different stores around here are sold out.

Old 03-04-2020, 09:59 AM
Area Manager

Quote:
Quoth EricKei View Post
If soap and sanitizer are selling out, how many of those buyers were not washing their hands regularly before this?!?
That actually got raised at work this morning!

Thankfully we seem to be taking this slightly more sensibly in the UK. The news coverage keeps emphasising that it is only immunocompromised and older people who need to worry as it has a lower death rate than the flu, but to avoid passing it on to those people please make sure you wash your hands, etc. The advice about self-isolating in your bedroom and cleaning the bathroom every time you use it in a shared household made us roll our eyes, though; what's the point? Given the estimated 2 week incubation period, everyone else in the house is infected anyway!

We do appear to be having a run on hand sanitiser, though; our HR sent out an email earlier this week saying the usual (wash your hands, etc.) and that they'd be making sure all offices had bottles of hand sanitiser. That has yet to materialise, since the local shops have run out. No-one seems to be panic buying anything else, though, at least not around here.

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Old 03-04-2020, 10:20 AM
Assistant Manager

Quote:
Quoth greek_jester View Post
That actually got raised at work this morning!

Thankfully we seem to be taking this slightly more sensibly in the UK. The news coverage keeps emphasising that it is only immunocompromised and older people who need to worry as it has a lower death rate than the flu, but to avoid passing it on to those people please make sure you wash your hands, etc. The advice about self-isolating in your bedroom and cleaning the bathroom every time you use it in a shared household made us roll our eyes, though; what's the point? Given the estimated 2 week incubation period, everyone else in the house is infected anyway!
Our media has been half-and-half on this. They've tried to emphasise that the ones most at risk are the vulnerable, but will then turn around and go "HERE'S THE FIRST HUMAN-TO-HUMAN TRANSMISSION CASE" in the next article. Drives me nuts.

Our CEO sent out an email today asking for our staff to knock it off re stealing shit (which makes sense). I've been sent reminders about washing my hands properly whenever I enter and leave the hospital and in other parts of the hospital.

In terms of the retial side though, I've heard it's gotten worse - to the point where two guys got into a knife fight over TP at my local supermarket

Old 03-04-2020, 02:18 PM
Philosophical Tomato

I stocked up on our favorite natural brand of hand soap/sanitizer when it was on sale, and I think we have enough dry pasta, rice, and assorted sauces to wait things out for a few days if we need to. The food show that we were planning to attend later this month is still on, but we're paying attention. A friend in housekeeping at work gave me a full box of latex gloves and I'm using them out on the floor/on my trek home (they are presently hidden in a spare warehouse locker and only me, one CW and the warehouse guys know the combination).

Mom had a physical yesterday, and the only person wearing a mask was in the main reception desk down in the lobby.

Old 03-05-2020, 01:46 AM
Escapee

I was told that our Costco is out of toilet paper. I'm going this weekend and will see for myself while I'm there. To be fair, though, my town always operates as if it's the zombie apocalypse. So it doesn't take much to push people over whatever tenuous cliff they were standing at to go full on Walking Dead survival prep.

Still... I know it's scary but calm down. Most of the people I know are being normal about it, but then you come across someone who's like "that person coughed it's THE VIRUS!!!1!"